Chapter 4

Snapping my eyes open, I bolted up, then winced in pain. Looking out the window I saw that the sky was starting to lighten up. I didn't mean to fall asleep for so long. Injured or not, I should have taken a turn keeping watch. Catching movement on my left, I turned to see that everyone was asleep. I can't believe no one kept watch last night.

Sighing, I used to wall to stand. My pain was less, but still there. When I check the house yesterday, I know I saw a bathroom down the hall. Careful not to trip over anyone, I made my way there with a flash light. Trying the lights, I hummed when they worked.  One of them must have found a back up generator. Checking myself in the mirror, I frowned at the black  and blue bruise around my neck. If he hadn't let me go when he did then I would for sure be dead.

"You're already up?" A voice gasped, making me jump and pull out my knife. Gavin instantly took a step back, but he gave me a reassuring smile.

"It will take a while until you're fully healed." He explained reaching for the gauze, so I put my knife away, "You should actually still be resting."

Rolling my eyes at him, I let him put the gauze back around me. If I could talk, I would point out that he was the one who shot me and  Chase was the one who tried to choke me out. When he chuckled, I glared at him.

"Sorry, I just kind of think I can read your mind. Let me guess, you're thinking that you're only injured because of me and my friends. Well, I'll remind you that you were going to kill us. Besides, I'm trying to wrap you up the best I can with the supplies we have. Had we know you three were up here and that you were protecting them, we would have been a little more friendly."

Glaring at him, I didn't like that he thinks that he can read me like a book or that he's trying to let me see his point of view on the situation. Moving past him, I went back to the living room and sat in a chair by the window, so that I could see if anything was coming. Thankfully nothing was. By the fireplace, I saw Cassie and Chase sit up.

"Gavin, should we get the horses ready to go?" Chase asked. Deciding to tune them out, I returned my attention out the window.

I personally don't care if they stay or go, so long as they keep the food we found and leave us along. When I saw something move outside, I reached for my gun, but paused when I didn't feel it in the holster. I must have left it outside when Gavin shot me. With any luck, what ever is out there might just be a deer or a bear. Not taking my eyes off the thing, I tensed when I saw that it was a person. Only they were clearly dead, with a broken leg that they were dragging behind them and a small, hard twitch when they walked. At least there's only one though.

Breaking off a piece of wood that was coming off the window, I tossed it between everyone, now that they were awake. They all instantly looked over at me in confusion. Holding a finger to my lips to shush them, I pointed outside. Gavin whispered something to Chase that was to low for me to hear, but when Chase went out the back door, I had an idea of what was said.

"Me and the others were talking." Gavin explained, walking over to me, "How about you girls come with us for a while? You could use someone to take care of you while you heal and there's safety in numbers."

Glancing past him to Rose and Cassie. There are safety in numbers, that I've learned. However, from the previous makeshift towns, we've learned that large numbers can also kill you. When the towns we were at got over ran by the dead, we barely got out of them alive.

Hearing the Chase open the door, I snapped out of my thoughts and looked up at Gavin who was watching me, waiting for an answer. It's not something we can just decide on the spot, though he is making this sound like a limited time opportunity.

Frowning, I managed to stand, though a little wobbly, and headed to the door. I can't just leave my gun out there, if we do decide to go with them.

"Were are you going?" Cassie called. Making a gun with my hand, I pointed outside to let them know where I had left it. She pursed her lips, like she wanted to speak against me going out there, but turned her attention back to breakfast being cooked.

That gun is the only one we have and I'm not going to leave it behind. I went to open the door, but stopped when Gavin, blocked my way.

"I'll go get it." You can't move very well down or up that hill. I need to go get the horses anyway." 

Glaring at him, I hated that he was right. With my leg injured, that hill is going to be annoyingly rough. I might as well hold up a sign to show that I'm an easy target for the zombies. As if he knew he won, he gave me a grin that made me want to punch him. Resisting the urge to do so, I went to sit with the others for breakfast.