Chapter 10

"Sky, can you go get some ice from Ms. Margret?" Rose called, making me look up from my book with a raised eyebrow, "Our ice maker stopped."

"Do it the old fashion way and wait, because I'm still on house arrest." I sighed, earning a scoff from her.

"That ended yesterday." She pointed out, " I'm busy cooking and Cassie is on a date."

"Wait she actually went on a date?" I gasped, not sure if I was hearing it correctly or not, "Cassie, the girl who always has her nose in a book? The same girl who said no man is smart enough for her, is on a date? With a guy?"

"Go. Get. Ice." Rose demanded, throwing towels at me.

Setting my book down, I grabbed my jacket as I headed for the door. The instant I opened it, I wanted to shut it in Gavin's face. The only reason I didn't was because Mary was there. He knew that too because he had a smug smirk on his face.

"I see you're taking advantage of your new freedom." He taunted, making me roll my eyes.

"I'm going to get something from Ms. Margret." I corrected, moving around them, "Excuse me."

I had hoped he would have gone in with Mary, but when she grabbed my hand, I knew he was following too. I suppose now would be a good time to ask about the Insane. It's not like anyone has told us since we got here, but they keep bringing it up.

"Gavin, what are the Insane everyone is talking about?" I questioned, looking over at him, "Are they like people who escaped mental intuitions?"

He looked at me like I was crazy, which I will admit, I find a little offensive. I've been busy trying to survive. It's not like I stop to tell the difference between these Insane and the dead. Finally, he seemed to get I wasn't kidding, because he sighed.

"Well, medically they're not dead. They have the disease, but they have near complete brain function, besides memories, the part the makes us human like emotions." He explained, both of us stumbling for a second when Mary decided that she wanted to swing between us, "They still eat people though and they don't talk. In a way, I guess they're like the dead, but also like us, because they are smart."

"Is there any way to tell them apart?" I asked, earning a shrug from him.

"I'm not sure. Not much is known about them." He admitted, looking down as Mary sniffled.

"Dad said Mommy became one when this started." She whimpered.

Glancing up at Gavin, he looked down. Not looking me in the eyes, but I could see he was upset by it.  Stopping our walk, I crouched down to her height. It would be best to get out of this conversation quickly. I found out enough anyway.

"I'm sorry. I lost my mother too." I explained, offering her a smile, "I'm sure your mother is watching over you though."

She gave me a weak smile before wrapping her arms around my neck. Truth be told, I don't care about losing my mother. I lost we long before the end of the world. I miss my brother and sister though. It's my fault they're gone. Clearing my throat, I patted her back and pushed her back some.

"Let's go get some ice before Rose decides to make me eat carrots as punishment for being late." I grinned, making her giggle.

Leading the way to the porch, I didn't even get a chance to knock before Ms. Margret opened the door. A smile on her wrinkled face as she beckoned us inside. Her grey hair was pulled into a bun to keep out of her glasses.

"Mercy me. What brings you all here?" She asked, making me smile at the way she spoke.

"Rose sent me to ask for some ice." I explained, slowing my pace to follow her into the kitchen, "She says our ice maker is broken."

"Well, I'll get you a whole bag." She chuckled, shuffling thew drawers and her freezer, "You know, Gavin is a handy man. I'm sure he could fix it in no time. Is that why you and Macy are with her, Gavin?"

"Just thought she could use some company." He grinned, glancing at me, making me roll my eyes.

"I bet so. Give me a minute. This stupid ice is so hard to break apart." She grunted.

Smiling, I leaned against the wall by her back door and glanced out it. There is nothing but a few trees there and a wooden fence for the perimeter. A smaller garden that she's clearly trying to get started was by the house. Maybe if I decide to stay, I'll come over and help. She reminds me a lot of my grandma after all and I'm sure she could use the help. Seeing the movement, my eyes went to it before I stiffened.

"Gavin." I hissed, gaining his attention.

Looking back out the window, he copied me, but I heard him gasp. A dead person was slinking around outside. There shouldn't be one here unless there's a hole in the fence. We need to let the others know that there is a perimeter breach. Looking up at Gavin with wide eyes to let him know that we have to tell someone. He only shook his head, making me glare at him.

"Oh, I forgot, I've got some candy and food. How about you three take some home with you?" Ms. Margret asked, nearly making me jump as I turned to her.

"You don't have to." I tried to play off, with a strained smile, but she waved her hand at me as she handed me the bag of ice.

"Nonsense, I've got more than enough. Wait right here." Watching her shuffle off, I relaxed slightly.

"Macy, why don't you go help her?" Gavin ordered, making her look at him in confusion before she did as she was told, "We can't cause panic. I'll go deal with it then tell my father."

"More could get in before then." I hissed, "It has to be delt with now."

He glanced towards the living room as if he expected them to come back at any second, "I'll search the fence line while I'm out there. I'll hide the body and show him later."

Sighing, I shook my head, but got out of his way. Grabbing his wrist to stop him when I saw he only had a gun on him. That won't do him any good if he doesn't want to create chaos. Taking my machete, I handed it to him.

"Use this. It's quieter. Just be careful." He paused before taking it from me with a smirk.

"Worried about me, huh?" 

"I'm worried about Macy not having her brother around." I sassed, though it didn't wipe his smirk off his face.

"Sure, you are." The nerve of this guy!

"I'll drop her off at the house and catch up with you." Letting him slip out the door, I headed to the living room before Ms. Margret and Macy could return. 

Macy had at least four ziplock bags of cookies and different candies. A wide grin on her face like she won the lottery.

"Wow, that should give you a sugar rush." I teased, grabbing her hand, "Thank you, Ms Margret. We better get this ice back before it melts."

"Alright. Wait where's Gavin?" She looked around me.

"He saw something in your garden and went to chase it away." I lied, which instantly made me feel bad.

She bought it though because she nodded, "Alrighty then. Bye girls."

"Bye, Grandma Margret." Macy called as I lead her out.

Her little fingers wiggling in an attempt to wave since her arms were full. Glancing around cautiously, I hurried us back to the house.