Chapter 9

"They went over the walls. Against the kingdom's orders. There has to be punishments." one man on the left snapped, making me raise an eyebrow. It was the same argument he's been making since we first got here.

"They killed zombies and saved two children's lives. Two lives that are this Kingdom's future." Dr. Evelyn on the right argued. 

The man in the center only studied us with his hands folded, like he was calculating everything. Liam had introduced him as the King, though from how similar he looked to Gavin, I could have guessed it.

"Enough you two." He finally spoke standing.

Sensing Chase tense by me, I frowned as the King moved around the tables to stand in front of us. His hands behind his back as he looked between us in judgement. Clearly trying to intimidate us, but it won't work on me.

"Chase, you know better than to go beyond the walls when there are zombies or infected out there." He lectured making Chase look down, "Ms. Skylar, since you are new here, it is expected that you don't know the rules yet, but reckless actions create consequences for everyone. If you are going to be a part of us, you need to learn these rules. There is going to be punishment, but since you saved two children, it won't be as harsh since you did your actions to save lives. One of them being my daughter. So, one week of house arrest."

Glancing over at Chase, I raised an eyebrow when he smiled a little. I suppose that's a light punishment. There is one thing bothering me though.

"Sir, you mentioned something about infected, you're meaning people who've been bitten?" I questioned, making him shake his head.

"Are you saying that you've been out there this whole time and you can't tell the difference?" Chase scoffed making me glare at him.

"It doesn't matter to me what it is. if it tries to hurt me or my friends, I'm killing it." I finalized, noticing the look of respect on the king's face as he nodded.

"Then it's going to be interesting hearing how you deal with one when you realize what it is." He almost seemed to chuckle, "For now, house arrest. Then you'll go on patrol together, since you seem to work very well together."

Grimacing at the thought of having to work with Chase, I tried not to show it as I nodded. I have more questions, but the King made it clear he was done by turning to go back to his seat. A little irritating, but I followed Lian and Chase out anyway. Immediately getting a hug from Mary, I shoulder pat from Cassier, and a light slap to the back of the head from Rose.

"Tell me you didn't get us kicked out." Rose sighed, making me shake my head.

"No, just some light house arrest." Chase explained, "I still can't believe you don't know what Infected are."

At that both Gavin and Lukas blinked at us in shock. As if they couldn't believe it.

"What are Infected?" Cassie asked making me shrug my shoulders, "I guess we'll find out later. We should probably get you inside before you get in more trouble."

"I shouldn't have gotten in trouble for this." I grumbled, looking down at Mary when she grabbed my hand with a smile.

Giving her hand a light squeeze, I headed towards the house. Mostly tuning the others out as they walked behind me.

"Never took you for a kid type." Looking over at Gavin, I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Judging books by their covers now?" I scoffed, though he only chuckled.

"I think I'm getting you figured out." He hummed, "Hard outside, big softie on the inside."

"Oh wow, you described practically every other person around." I rolled my eyes at him.

"So, what made you grow such a hard shell?" This is like those questioned the teachers ask on the first day of school to get to know the students.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe the world ending, zombies eating everyone, getting shot. Those kinds of things tend to do that to a person." I sassed, noticing that we were finally back to the house.

He's probably going with his friends, so this game of 20 questions will finally end. Letting Mary go, I waved by to her, then headed up the stairs. Entering the house, I glanced back to see if Rose and Cassie were coming in. Only Cassie and Gavin were. So much for escaping him. Rose was going with Lukas, Chase, and Mary.

"Are you ever going to forgive me for shooting you?" He sighed, shutting the door behind him.

"I'm probably not going to be here long enough for that, so no." I growled getting annoyed, "Now will you quit bothering me?"

Sending him a warning glare to stay away from me, I decided to start making some lunch. At least that's one good thing about being here. Warm, almost endless supply of food that I don't have to hunt for.