Chapter 7

Groaning at the yelling of Rose and Cassie, I pulling the pillow over my head. You would think that after being in a coma for a while, I would be well rested, but I'm exhausted.

"Sky, get up." Rose cheered, making me sigh as the bed started to shake from her jumping on it, "We're going on that tour of the kingdom, remember?"

"Later when it's warmer." I yawned, curling up with the blankets. I haven't been this comfortable in a long time and I don't plan on leaving this bed anytime soon.

When the bed stilled and everything went silent, I smiled and nuzzled back into comfort. That was until I felt everything flip. The mattress now crushing me as I was sandwiched under it. Managing to crawl my way out from under, I glared up at Gavin and Chase who were laughing with Rose and Cassie.

"Are you up now?" Gavin teased. It's only been a couple of days since I got out of the hospital, so I still don't trust him or Chase, but since they've been coming over nearly everyday, I try to get along with them.

"Fine." I grumbled, "Let me get dressed at least."

Glaring at them as they left, still laughing, I quickly put on something warmer. An elderly lady, Ms. Margret, brought some clothes to us the day after I got out. She said that they used to be her granddaughter's, who was about our age. Most days she brings some food that she makes. Me and the girls often joke that she's silently claiming us as her adopted granddaughters.

Pulling on a jacket, I hesitated when I reached for my gun. I'm sure if they see me with it, there will be a big fuss about how dangerous it is to have that out around kids. Probably saying that it could accidentally go off. I really don't want to just leave without something to protect myself though. Incase the Kingdom gets over ran while we're out there. Grabbing my machete, I tied it to my belt and headed downstairs.

"Great, let's go." Rose cheered practically dragging Chase and Rose outside. She really has to much energy for this early in the morning. Stuffing my hands in my pockets, I gave a small greeting nod to Lukas and Gavin who appeared on either side of me.

"So, are you getting used to it here?" Lukas questioned, handing me a cup of coffee. It was definitely the best thing to have first thing on a cold morning like this.

"It's nice." I hummed, "How are you able to keep everything running? The electricity, the food, the water?"

"Well, this town was full of doomsday preppers." Gavin answered, "Turns out they had all made a town just for themselves. Everything is solar powered, There's a water dam and a filtration system just past the hill and there's at least three green houses. I won't even go into detail about the underground chambers and tunnels that go throughout the whole town underneath."

"Wow. I have to say that's impressive." I admitted, in full honesty before gasping up at the large wall we approached. There is no way they built all this in just a year.

"This is the wall that we're building." Gavin announced, as if it wasn't obvious, "At least three cinder blocks thick and ten feet high."

"Then it's about as secure as can be." Cassie called back to us as they were already heading up the steps to the top of the wall. Going after them, I tensed slightly when I saw that some of the people up their had swords on them. Some were surveying the other side of the wall while others were adding onto the wall.

"General Liam, is in charge of our security with nearly fifty people trained." Lukas explained, when I noticed the man from the group that approached us, before we got here, step towards us. He was looking directly at me which made me feel very uncomfortable. There's something about him that makes him look like he's always planning something.

"Ms. Skylar, glad to see that you are doing better. From that grip you had on the saddle horn, we didn't think we were ever going to get you in the wagon." He was clearly trying to appear pleasant, but I don't trust him. I still have manners though.

"General Liam, thank you for your concern and bringing us here." I thanked, "How do your train the people here if having zombies is to dangerous to have inside the walls, if I may ask."

He seemed to smile a little as if he was impressed with that question, "That's probably the first time I've ever heard someone ask that question, though it's a good one. We don't train them inside the walls. Yes, they'll spar each other incase we run into any Infected, but when we go out on patrol or to scavenge, they do their training there, with a professional at their side for help."

"So it's hands on training." Cassie summed up, "What are Infected though? Is that what you call the zombies?"

"Infected, you know like people who have the virus, but don't fully turn." Chase explained, though it still doesn't ring a bell. How do you not fully turn into a zombie once you get the virus?

"Never heard of those." Rose announced, earning shocked looks from all of them. Glancing to the other side of the wall, I frowned at the zombies gathering. There were maybe 10 with more on the way.

"Hey, are those going to be a problem?" I called, nodding towards the dead.

"They won't get in, but it will be a hassle to get out there for scouting missions." General Liam sighed, turning to a guard, "Hunter, you're in charge until I get back with the archery team."

"Yes, sir." The man called before Liam left. Immediately Hunter started barking orders to the others. Then turned to us, with a glare.

"You all need to get back to your homes." He ordered. It's not like it bothers me any. Keeping behind the others as we headed towards the stairs, I kept an eye on the zombies. Only pausing when I saw something pink peek around a tree. Pausing, I studied that area, until I saw them. Two kids, trying to hide from the zombies. It's clear as daylight that they're still alive. With the amount of zombies gathering though, there's no telling how long they'll be safe. 

"Hunter." I tried calling, but paused when someone pulled me back from behind.

"Skylar, we need to get back." Gavin reminded me.

"There are a couple kids outside the wall. The zombies are getting closer to them." I pointed out, grabbing Hunter to get his attention, "There are kids down there that need help."

"We can't risk fighters lives to go down to rescue a couple kids." He snapped, "Let us do our job and go home."

Shocked, I didn't even know what to say as he marched away. He's seriously going to leave a couple kids to fend for themselves? Even I'm not that heartless and to be honest, I'm not going to stand for it. Glaring at where he went, I looked over at the others.

"So much for a reliable kingdom." I scoffed towards Gavin, who frowned at me.

"If you let kids die, then how are we supposed to trust that this place will help us if we need it? Thankfully I'm not like your people." I don't care if I offended a prince, I'm not going to let kids die for no reason.