Chapter Twenty Five - 'The End'

"After finally dating for a couple of months the two became inseparable doing everything together even going with him to his X Factor audition. The.." The phone rang. Snapping me out of my concentration. I placed the magazine down on the couch next to me and picked up my phone.

"Hello?" I started. "Hi, is this Lucy?" said the voice on the phone, it was female and young. "Yes, who is this?" I said starting to wonder. "It doesn't matter, the most important thing is how do you sleep at night?" the voice said sternly. 'Excuse me?" I said starting to become defensive "very well thank you!". The voice spoke again, "who do you think you are saying those things about Harry? He didn't even love you that's why he broke up with you, the nerve you have saying that you ended it! Harry is the most amazing person on the planet and you're just a stupid little bitch". I laughed at how pathetic this way. "You're a fan, right?" I said. "Too right I am and you deserved everything you got!" the voice screamed. My face hardened up, "Don't ever call this number again!" I spat ending the call and blocking the number. People. People are sick.

I didn't feel like reading the magazine any longer so I left the room to take a shower. I felt a lot better washing away all the negativity but that didn't stop my tears. After drying my hair and face I pulled on a clean top and jeans and slipped my feet into my converse. I sighed then started down the stairs. Something white caught my eye. A letter that had been posted through my letterbox sat under the front door. Great, must be bills or a statement or something, but as I grew closer to it I noticed it was not in a formal envelope but was more like a card envelope. A thank you card from NewNews magazine? A late birthday card? I picked up the white paper between my fingers, flipping it to see what it read on the front, nothing. It was hand delivered.

I sat myself down on the bottom stair as I pulled a little card from the envelope. It was pink and red with patterns and the words 'I love you, on it. Confusion spilled onto my face. I looked inside to see that all the text was typed not handwritten. It read:

'Lucy,

I don't know how to start to say this but I think I'm in love with you. There isn't a day that goes by without me thinking about you. I've tried to hide it for so long but it's killing me inside. Everyday I see your smile and it makes me feel great but then I'm left with the reminder that you're not mine and it hurts, it hurts so much. If there's a way we can be together I'll take it because you always will be my everything.

Love from..'

I heard a knock at the door. I looked up and dropped the card, leaping to my feet and pulling the door back.
"Lucy hey, are you ready to sell some clothes?". It was Lilly, my neighbour and new friend. We'd started working in the boutique at the same time and become so close ever since. I'd told her everything about being raped and Harry and my childhood and she was always amazing in making me feel better.

"Yeah I'll just grab my coat" I giggled nervously while kicking the card behind me.
"What's that?" she pointed.
"It's nothing, just..just a..a..a thank you card from NewNews mag" I said scooping up the card and pushing it into the drawer next to me. I pulled my coat from the banister and closed the door behind me.

I couldn't get off my mind who my mystery lover could be all the way to work, I thought there was only one person it could be and I really didn't want it to be him.

Nathan.

Nathan, like Lilly, was one of my new best friends. He was blonde with freckles and sharp blue eyes and although he sounds lovely which he is I just couldn't see him in that way. I just couldn't.

"Couldn't what?" Lilly smiled.
"I was thinking out loud again, wasn't I" I laughed as we entered the boutique. "Late again girls" our boss Annie chirped throwing our name badges on the table. "Sorry" we said in sync, then began our days work.

~

Being on clothes folding duty was not the highlight of my job in the slightest. The constant folding made my arms and fingers ache. Just then I heard the door open, the smell of fresh air washed over the shop. Finally a customer! I looked up with hope that I wouldn't have to fold anymore tops and instead have to serve however this was not a costumer.

"Alright Luce" said Nathan waving from the open door. Shit. "Oh...hey" I squeaked hiding behind the shelves. "Hello Nat" Lilly chirped from the changing room. Nathan waved then started on his path towards me. I buried myself between clothes, trying to blend into the flowered patterns.
"You alright?" Nathan questioned, picking up a top and folding it up. "Er yeah" I muttered as he passed me the clothing. "You got it then?" he said. I stopped dead in my folding. How was I going to do this? "Look Nathan, you're a lovely guy" I started. "Yeah I know but if you got my post could I come get it?" he asked. My faced spelt out confused. "Excuse me, get what?!" I said shocked. "My delivery? The one you ordered for me the other day. My new top" he laughed. My heart sunk with realisation, it wasn't him who sent the card. "Oh my god, of course! I completely forgot" I apologised. "No worries. Just drop it round at mine whenever" he smiled then headed off in Lilly's direction.

Okay so it wasn't Nathan, then who was it? I could have been anyone. Someone who walked past the shop when I was on shift, one of Lilly's friends she'd introduced me to, a 1D fan playing a cruel prank. I figured that was probably the case and so continued folding my endless pile of clothes.

My finger tips were numb by the end of my shift, back ached and feet hurt. I wrapped my coat around my tired shoulders and began my walk home. I usually walked with Lilly but she was working a hours overtime for extra money so I began my stroll down the lane and up the hill to my house. The summer air was still quite warm as it began to grow darker. The streets were calm and silent leaving nothing but the noise of my shoes slapping against the pavement walked on. Just then I noticed something fluttering a little in the breeze. A white envelope a lot like the mystery one at my house, attached to a tree it pulled me in closer with its beaconing flutters. My body drifted towards it quickly, like a moth to a flame. My hands hovered for a second before detaching it from the tree. I openned the envelope slowly producing another card, same colours, same patterns. I peeled it open, the text typed just like the first, was I being followed? Just like the first time I began to read the content:

'Lucy,

I'm sure you've been thinking about who I am all day and it's killing me not talking to you as I'd like to. There's no one on this planet that will ever love, need or understand you more than me. Theres no way I can begin to apologise for the stress and pain I caused you and I can't stand being away from you any longer so I'm just not going to wait another minute.

Love from...'

Just then I heard a scuttling behind me, a branch cracked as footsteps grew closer. My heart sunk, palms became sweaty. I knew exactly who had written the card. I pushed my long blonde hair behind my ear and lowered my head to face the floor.

"Lucy" said a familiar husky voice. I turned around, looking up at the tall figure that stood in front of me. Curly hair bounced down from his head, dimples gentle carved into his face as his green eyes glistened.

"Harry"

By Lucy Edge