9th GRADE

Aaliyah felt a chill go down her spine and butterflies in her stomach. Jack Harlow. She thinks back to when she first met Jack in 9th grade. He was a couple grades above and they went to rival high schools but she knew him because of Urban. He was always known to be goofy and flirty.

It was Aaliyah's first high school party, Urban invited her, she went with a couple of her friends. She was looking for Urban and finally found him in the living room on a couch with Jack. "Hey Urb", she said kinda quietly. Jack looked up quickly. She noticed him scan her body. Urban got up quickly and greeted her with a hug. Jack got up to, waiting to be introduced. She already knew who he was. White boy rapper, he was for sure gonna blow up. It was just a question of when.

Urban and Aaliyah had a quick conversation. He made sure she was comfortable since it was her first high school party. He always looked out for her like that.
Jack cleared his throat to get their attention.
"Oh my fault brother. This is Aaliyah, she's a freshman", said Urban. Jack grabbed Aaliyah's hand delicately. "Hi, i'm Jack", he said softly, looking into her eyes. "You're shaking", said Aaliyah. "Am I?", he responded. He was. Aaliyah felt butterflies in her stomach and her heart started to race. She let go of his hand.

"You can dress", Jack said to Aaliyah, "I see you around sometimes ". "Thank you. I wanna be a stylist one day", said Aaliyah. He nodded his head, "That's dope as fuck", he said. She responded with thank you and her and her friends went on to dance.

It's 2015 so all the bops are playing. The DJ had on back to back Fetty Wap, everyone's having a good time, girls are twerking every time you turn around. The smell of whack ass Axe body spray and bath & body works fills the air. It's a teenage mad house.

'Back That Azz Up' started playing and Aaliyah watched as all the girls and guys searched quickly for a partner. She walked back over to Jack and Urban who were still sitting on the couch watching everyone else. Her and Jack locked eyes. "Why you not out there?", he asked when she got to the couch. "I don't do that stuff. It's awkward", she replied. "Maybe you just need to find a good partner", he said. "Maybe you're right. I'll let you know when I find one", she said. Jack smirked and chuckled softly.

"Why y'all just been sitting here watching everyone like weirdos", Aaliyah said to the pair. She looked at them both in the face, they were obviously stoned and maybe a little tipsy. "Oh, I see", she said. They looked at each other and laughed loudly. Aaliyah turned to look at her friends still dancing. Everyone looked tired and out a breath but they didn't stop.

After what seems like forever the song finally stopped and 'Latch' by Sam Smith started playing. "I love this song", Aaliyah said slightly dancing. "I do too", said Jack, "you tryna dance?". That caught her off guard, "Im not gonna grind on you", she said smirky. "I didn't say grind, I said dance", he replied. He didn't give her time to answer before he grabbed her hand and walked her to where everyone else was dancing. He spun her in a circle and pulled her closer to him. She instantly felt butterflies. Out of all the girls here why did he wanna dance with her? Aaliyah wrapped her arms around his neck and put her body against his. She laid her head on his chest and for a moment it felt like only them.

I FEEL WE'RE CLOSE ENOUGH I WANNA LOCK IN YOUR LOVE. I THINK WE'RE CLOSE ENOUGH COULD I LOCK IN YOUR LOVE BABY

Aaliyah looks up at Jack and at the same time he's looking down at her. Their eyes meet, and then...BOOM... a kiss.

NOW I GOT YOU IN MY SPACE I WONT LET GO OF YOU. GOT YOU SHACKLED IN MY EMBRACE I WONT LET GO OF YOU

Aaliyah's heart dropped, her first kiss ever. She didn't really know what to do but she kept going. All of a sudden she heard "WHOOOOOOOOO LETS GO!!!", coming from the couch, it was Urban cheering the two on. Aaliyah and Jack pulled away from each other, still holding hands, and looked at their friend. He was obviously a lot more drunk than she had previously thought. All of a sudden all Aaliyah hears is "COPPPPPPPS". She seen lights outside and seen everyone scatter. "I have to find my friends", she said letting go of Jack's hand. She ran outside to where her friends parked and waited for them.

She got home that night, still with goosebumps. Jack, a boy that every girl wanted kissed her? She couldn't sleep that night. Because all she wanted to do was relive that moment.