💥Flash Fiction Friday Winning Entry (6)💥

Writer: _omanitaTitle: On The Edge Of DoomPrompt: Dark Fantasy Photo: dextdeestudios| Instagram]

Writer: _omanita
Title: On The Edge Of Doom
Prompt: Dark Fantasy Photo: dextdeestudios| Instagram]

Writer: _omanitaTitle: On The Edge Of DoomPrompt: Dark Fantasy Photo: dextdeestudios| Instagram]

"DEAR DAUGHTER, how did you kill that measly mmadu?"

"I slit his neck with my sharp talons and poured his tainted blood on the altar of Great Sansia!" Ene spoke, her tone icier than snow. Cocking her head to the side, she threw me a smug smile but I chose to ignore her petty gesture, my heart pounding frantically. I was the next in line.

Perched on her throne molded from corals and bleached human bones, Queen Mother nodded and raked a chilling glance across the distance to where I stood, her stare penetrating. Goosepimples appeared over my purple scales, my body rigid and tense.

"And what about you, Akwaeke? Who did you sacrifice to Great Sansia?" she inquired, her voice echoing in the cave we'd gathered in, dark save for the bioluminescent algae illuminating the grim faces of my companions.

I gulped mentally, willing the tension I felt not to permeate its vile stench out from the pores of my gills. She could taste fear and if she knew I was terrified, I would be done for. Reining in my terror, I began talking, my voice calm. "Nobody. Dawn was fast approaching, a time too late to catch prey. I am sorry for failing you." I bowed my head, scared that she would read the truth in my eyes.

I was being dishonest, daring to keep the truth from her. My trap, a net spun from kelp meshed together, had caught a manly boy. The mmadu that had saved me during the dry uguru season ten years ago.

Queen Mother pinned a malevolent glare at me, her silver scales glowing red. A tell-tale sign that she was furious. "You have failed Great Sansia and for that, you shall be severely punished!"

I rose my head higher, horror creeping into my black heart. This was the first time I was to be punished. One of the greatest warriors in the marine kingdom, I had always made it my duty to fulfill whatever task allotted to me. How could she forget all the blood I'd spilled for Great Saskia. All the hearts I'd crushed?

"But Queen Mother, I have been your loyal servant. Not once have I failed in doing your bidding. This is the first time I am making a grievous blunder and for that, I deeply apologize. Have mercy on me, my queen, it won't happen again."

She struck her trident down on the wet ground and the walls of the cave reverberated, a splatter of smashed rocks raining down on us. The air became reminiscent of pure evil. Evil that had been birthed right from the dawn of time. Evil that roamed the surface of the earth at night. Evil that was us. "Quiet! We do not make mistakes. Pray tell, mami wotas, what punishment shall we give to Akwaeke?"

"She should be turned into a mmadu. A human male." Ene gifted me a wolfish smile and that was when I knew I was in deep deep trouble.

________________________________________________________________________________
Want your flash fiction piece to stand a chance to be featured here? Look out for our Flash Fiction Friday chapter published in Naija House once every month.

All the love!