💥Flash Fiction Friday Winning Entry (11)💥

Writer- Iwajay
Title- Sorority 
Prompt- Contemporary Lit [Photo: fanmdjanm/Instagram]

Writer- IwajayTitle- Sorority Prompt- Contemporary Lit [Photo: fanmdjanm/Instagram]

It was the weekend. The last Saturday of the month. For Rebecca, Zainab, and Iyanu, that meant their monthly girls' hang out where they drink and let their guard down a little. 

Usually, they'd rotate whose house they met at. This week, Iyanu was supposed to play host. But her kids, a five years old boy and a three years old girl, were around and would interrupt their hang out. Also, in her own words, she wanted to get out of her house. So Rebecca offered her house instead and chose to play host. 

Rebecca, at 30, wasn't married — Iyanu was the only married one of the three — and her house was the representation of a typical bachelor's pad. Sleek and modern but somewhat empty. 

As usual, Zainab came in last, her six inches heels clicking and clacking. In her short silver shimmery dress, she looked like she came straight from work. She worked as a model. 

"Hi girls." She hugged and air-kissed the both of them before picking up a glass of pre-served wine. "I'm sorry I'm late today, I had a shoot." 

"Do you ever get a day off?" Rebecca asked, partly amused, partly annoyed. 

Zainab rolled her eyes. "Not everybody's boss is in love with them." 

Rebecca's dynamic with her boss was always a touchy subject for her but before she could retort, Iyanu cut in. "I'm pregnant." 

That stopped both of them short, but Rebecca recovered faster. "Congratulations?" She herself wasn't sure if she was asking or telling. 

It was no secret that Iyanu was in an unhealthy marriage. At 24, she had been forced to get married to her boyfriend of the time five years ago when she found out she was pregnant for him. They had just been dating for two months. 

Now, the youngest of their friend group at 29, she was stuck being a full-time housewife while her husband went to work and had multiple side relationships. 

"How can you be pregnant, Iyanu? I thought you were on birth control," Zainab rounded on her. 

"I was. I am. I don't know how but I'm pregnant. My test results came in yesterday." 

Zainab scoffed. "Then remove it." 

"Zainab!" Rebecca scolded, a look of reprimand on her face. Iyanu absolutely hated the idea of abortion, that was the main reason she got married in the first place. 

"What? That's the sensible thing to do. You can't seriously want to birth another child for that sorry excuse of a husband." 

"I'm two months gone," Iyanu revealed, surprising them even more. "Even if I wanted to, I can't remove the baby." She was distraught. 

Rebecca shared a look with Zainab before scooting closer to Iyanu. "It's going to be alright, okay? Whatever happens, you have us, we'd be here for you always." 

"I have your back too," Zainab grudgingly agreed. "Though, I'd advise you serve that man divorce papers and be done with it." 

Iyanu laughed a little at that. "I just might."  

Writer- Classicnee1011Title- B

Title- B.O.O.M
Prompt- Contemporary Lit [Artist: lyart_jo/Instagram]

Celia Adams, Victoria Joseph, and Daniella Peters.
These three women were about to change the world in their own little way. Since secondary school, they all had a dream, which they were living out right now. B.O.O.M (Beautiful Organization of Models) is a women's NGO and these are the people behind it. 

"Joan, dear." That was Miss Adams who insisted I call her Celia. She was the brain of this organization. 

 "Yes ma'am, I mean Celia madame."She laughs. 

"Please drop the madame. I hope you have all everything ready for the event." 

"Yes, Celia." I push up my glasses, smiling. 

Just then, Miss Joseph and Miss Peters walked in dressed in their nice clothes. Miss Joseph is the public face of the organization, while Miss Peters is the one heading it with her good leadership skills. That's how it has been for the three friends; the leader, the brain, and the face. I'm just the secretary but I'm honoured to work here. 

 "You guys ready?" Miss Peters asks. They were doing it one school at a time and now we were heading to one of the best schools in Nigeria. 

"Diamond Crown College, here we come."

________________________________________________________________________________

Remember, your submission has to be within the 500-word count limit to be eligible to enter the Flash Fiction Friday Contest.

Want your flash fiction piece to stand a chance to be featured here? Look out for our Flash Fiction Friday chapter published in Naija House once every month.

Have a fun Naija-loaded weekend!