⭐ Interview With Mercy E. Kalu ⭐

Tell us a bit about yourself

Honestly, I never thought I could write a chapter, talk more of becoming a writer. Nothing in specific inspired me. I've always loved reading. I would always borrow any novel that caught my attention from the school library. I didn't initially understand that I could try my hand at writing. I thought one has to go to school and graduate before becoming one.

So how did you get started? 

Hmm, how did I get started? Growing up, I didn't live in Nigeria. I lived in a rather simple and quieter country. I didn't know as much as I know now, especially about reading apps. I discovered Wattpad through my older sister in 2014. It wasn't until 2015 when I was in a sort of depressing state, did I turn to writing. In my mind I'm like, if I suck, no problem. After all, no one knows who I am. So, that was how I started.

Do you try to be more original or to deliver to readers what they want?

Earlier, I'm not sure I knew the difference. I was young and I was eager to write so I wrote what I would love to read and what might interest others. I believe recently, I try to be more original no matter the path I choose for the characters or the storyline.

Do you want each book to stand on its own, or are you trying to build a body of work with connections between each book? 

Definitely stand on its own. I admire people who can write series like spin-off upon spin-off but I'm not one of them. I get excited about different stories almost at once. As I'm working on one story, another is cooking up in my head. So, I most definitely want each book to stand on its own.

What does literary success look like to you? 

To me, literary success is doing what I love best which is writing in my most original self which is cooking up stories surrounding where I come from. Getting recognised and appreciated for it. Also to be able to earn enough from it to take care of myself and my family.

What kind of research do you do, and how long do you spend researching before beginning a book? 

I guess everyone does it but most of my research work includes searching for names and words. Before I start writing, I make sure I have the cover as well as the synopsis ready. It might take a while for me to get the right cover, the one that just coincides with what the story is about. This makes me feel sure that this story is definitely going to be written.

What is the most difficult part of your artistic process? 

Sometimes the difficult part is the synopsis and other times, the writing period. I can be stuck with a scene or a chapter and I can be forced to take days off writing.

What are common traps for aspiring writers? 

I think common traps for aspiring writers include the urge to please the audience in hopes of acquiring lots of followers and readers. Sometimes, they can unknowingly copy another writer especially if the story has what they've been trying to write.

Tell us about Dancing with the masquerade, which won the Celebrate Africa awards recently. 

Dancing With The Masquerade is a story of a woman who has been having mishaps with her romantic relationships unknowing to her was as a result of an ancestral oath her ancestors had taken. I believe any Nigerian or African will be able to relate to this. I mean before the missionaries came, we never knew what they got involved with. I'm a Christian and as a Christian, I wrote from the perspective that she finally clinging to her God was what saved her. I'm so grateful this book won the Celebrate Africa Awards.

Tell us a secret, how much of your story did you take from your life?

For my Nigerian-based stories, a small or slight part of my life was an inspiration for it. Maybe what I heard from an aunt or a relative's story or even a reply from my mum to certain questions of mine. It just makes me think how would this be if this was like this.

Who is your favorite author right now? 

For a long time, I don't think I had a favourite author. Maybe I need to read a lot more authors' works. But I recently read 'My sister the serial killer' by Oyinkan Braithwaite and I think I'm in love with her writing. Simple, clear and it kept me wondering what will happen next so she's my present favourite author.

To read stories written by Mercy E. Kalu on Wattpad, head over here.