Chapter Nine

The Right Moment

'KNOCK.'

"Mhm..."

'KNOCK! KNOCK!'

You rolled over, your eyes still shut.

'KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!'

"(Y/N)! (Y/N)!"

Muffled, ringing noise reached your ears. You couldn't tell what or who was talking. Not that it mattered too much anyway. You refused to get up or move from the warm sanctuary of your bed. The comfort had an enticing feel to it, and you never wanted that feeling to end. You hoped that whoever was outside knocking would leave in a minute or so if you kept ignoring them.

'KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!'

"Mhmm...it's...too early...mhm...too...c-comfty," You mumbled tiredly. Your body felt heavy under the covers, no doubt from the weight of the emotional exhaustion of yesterday. You wanted to stay in bed all day, but you had already promised someone that you'd be at the training grounds. You wanted to spend as much time inside before, eventually, going outside. "just l... leave..."

'KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!'

"(Y/N)! IT'S ROCK LEE! I NEED A WORD WITH YOU! IT'S CONCERNING GAARA!"

Your eyes shot open at the name. You rolled towards the other side of the bed, not noticing you lying at the edge of the bed. You hit the hard floor and let out a soft yelp. Intoxicated with confusion and exhaustion, you let out a low groan.

'That's one way to start the morning.'

The (f/c) blanket slid off your body like flimsy silk. You let your skin warm itself to the soft morning light peeking through the cracks of your window.

"Too...bright," you croaked dramatically. The light was far from bright. In fact, it had been cloudy for the past few days. You tried to pull whatever excuse you could think of not to answer the door. A loud yawn escaped your lips, and your limbs began to stretch themselves out. Your body was waking itself up before your mind could catch up. As you stood up, your muscles seemed to finally relax. Your mind was so clouded with morning thoughts and aggravation from being woken up so early that the wooden floor was starting to become a twisted ideal bed. However, you knew better than to sleep there. You did not need to feel sorer than you already were. "What...why...who would be looking for me at this hour?"

You dragged your body to the bathroom to freshen up. You weren't going to get ready for the day per se, but you had to look at least somewhat presentable for your unknown, unexpected guest.

You quickly brushed your teeth, as you do every morning. Mint washed over your tastebuds, clearing the morning breath you despised. You spat out the white foam and whipped your mouth down. You fixed your (h/c) hair, changing it from a battered bird's nest to a neat ponytail. You splashed water into your face to be alert and awake. When the water cleared out of your eyes, you finally got to look at yourself in the mirror. Your cheeks and eyes had puffed down and were no longer red. Your face gained back its color, and your eyes were no longer sad with despair. You were calm. You were okay.

You were stable for the first time since last night.

You stepped away from your close reflection and further analyzed yourself. Your eyes traced your tired frame, making sure your shirt or sweatpants were not stained or filthy. Luckily, everything was still pretty clean. Finally, you silently congratulated yourself for changing after Gaara had left your house yesterday.

'Gaara...'

Your face burned at the memory. The question he asked you still lingered.

"I love you."