Chapter Three

Fondness

Kakashi never believed he could be fond of anyone considering everything that has happened to him. With all the pain he has been forced to endure because of his choices, his last priority was falling in love.

The never thought he could ever care or even look at someone fondly ever again.

Yet, the proof that he was capable of doing so was fighting right before his own eyes.

Kakashi watched your movements swiftly mirror your brothers, which impressed both him and Sasuke very much. It was clear that both of their mentorships were paying off.

Kakashi noticed you had become stronger and more relaxed while still remaining respectful and kind towards him and your teammates. It was strange, to say the least. Kakashi was sure that Naruto and Sakura's childish demurs would have rubbed off on you by now, but he wasn't surprised that he managed to, once again, prove himself wrong.

"That's enough," You and Sasuke stop in an instant and turn to look at face their sensei. "Sasuke, your footwork was off. If given the opportunity (y/n) could have easily knocked you off your feet."

Sasuke wiped the sweat from his forehead as he nodded silently. Kakashi then turned his attention towards you, and the words seemed to get stuck in his throat. Although he had been watching you attentively the entire time, he had no complaints about your fighting style. You were skilled in both closed and long-range attacks, but he noticed that you did have a preference for close-range attacks. Kakashi knew that he needed to work on that with you, but he knew better than to think in that way. He could barely handle looking at you for more than five seconds, so he couldn't imagine how it would go if he were to work with you again.

"(Y/n), you need to administer more long-range attacks. You won't always be able to attack head-on. Stealth and distance are the best assets a shinobi could possess."

"Yes sensei." Kakashi smiled upon seeing his determined-face pupil. He had a deep admiration for the manner in which you handle criticism. Instead of tossing aside as if it were nothing, you used criticism as a means to fuel your fighting passion and prove to others that you were worthy of being a chuunin-rank shinobi.

Kakashi looked away from his two students and attempted to focus on Naruto and Sakura, who were also sparring. But, despite his best efforts, all he could focus on was the sound of your voice in the background.

"Long-range attacks, huh? I'm not that good at those! Sasuke, you can help me improve, right?"

"Sensei has no idea what he's talking about if he's saying that you're no good at long-range attacks. In just that spare alone, more than half of the techniques you used were long-ranged."

"I know, but if sensei pointed it out, then I must be doing something wrong. Do you think you can help me, Sasuke?"

"How do I help someone improve at something they all already good at?"

Kakashi heard while silence flew between the two siblings. The quietness provided him with the perfect opportunity to regain his focus on his other two pupils.

Suddenly, Kakashi felt a tug at the hem of his green vest sleeve. He turned his attention to the side and found himself smiling lightly as he noticed that it was you waiting there, eager to talk with him.

"Sensei, do you mind teaching me how to improve my long-range attacks? Sasuke said that I don't need to improve, but I know I do, and I can, and I will!"

Kakashi felt bewildered by you. You were never one to go against your brother's wishes, but he could see it in your eyes that you wanted to go above and beyond the expectations. Kakashi noticed  you were putting immense pressure on yourself lately, and that worried him. But if it gave you some piece of mind, he would do anything you ask of him.

"Alright, but only since you asked so nicely."

Kakashi smiled as he ruffled your hair, taking note of your now pink cheeks and melody-like giggle. He quickly retracted his hand away from you and stepped to the side as to hide himself from you. He watched you silently bow your head from the corner of his eye before running off to your brother, who was waiting for you with his arms crossed and with a threatening glare towards him. As soon as you were out of sight, Kakashi pulled up the hem of his mask as to hide his own blush that was quickly spreading across his face. This was the first time in years that another person was able to bring the heat to his face, and that fact scared him beyond belief.

Kakashi never believed that he could be fond of anyone, but he was glad that he found himself admiring you. In spite of what he had said to Sasuke, Kakashi believes he is ready to love again, or at least, he is prepared to open his heart up to another person. His only wish is for that person to be you.