Chapter Five

Separation

You awoke to find a rush-filled Sakura stuffing her bag with clothes and complementary inn toiletries. You smiled to greet your provisional roommate when she put her hand up to your face to refrain you from talking.

"Sensei wants us up and ready in twenty minutes. It's a long journey to Iwagakure."

You stay silent and quickly got out of the comfort of the soft inn bed to get ready for the day. As you brush your hair and begin to tie it behind you, a flash of memories from your conversation with Kakashi enter your mind, making you grip your bunched (h/c) locks tighter.

'I am nothing but a pupil to him. If that's the case, why can't I accept that?'

You finished tying your hair and got out of the bathroom to grab a fresh pair of clothes from your bag.

"Uh, Sakura? I'll be in the bathroom to change if you wanted to do so as well. Just be sure to let me know when you're done."

"I'll knock when I'm finished."

You nod and close the door to the bathroom in front of you. While you changed, you couldn't help but hold back the tears that began to well up in your eyes. There were so many things going wrong on what was supposed to be an exciting first mission. With Sasuke's confession, your confusing feelings towards your sensei, and all while having to bear with your usual negative thinking was beginning to become overwhelming. Kakashi seemed to be the prime subject on your mind, however. No matter how hard you tried, you couldn't shake him out. You didn't want to be 'only a student,' you wanted to be more. Even being considered a friend was enough to satisfy you.

'Kakashi is the only one who makes me feel this way. Why does it have to be him?'

You finished changing and you looked at your panicked expression in the mirror. You adjusted and ran your fingers through your (h/l) (h/c) bangs. All the individual thoughts you were having began to hit you, attacking your helpless mind that just wanted peace.

'Why do I want to be close to him? Why do I want him to talk to me? Why do I long for his touch, stares, and praises? Why do I want all these things from him!'

You had to stop yourself from slamming your fist into the sink from how frustrated you were. This sudden feeling for Kakashi was stressing you out beyond belief. You had so many questions, and yet, no definitive answers for any of them.

"(Y/n)! I'm done! We should get going."

You clutch your eyes closed and take a deep breath, easing your nerves as you left the cold bathroom. You head towards your bed and grab your (f/c) sports bag, strapping it on and walking out of the room with Sakura by your side. You both walk into the lobby where the rest of your teammates were waiting for you.

"Good morning everyone. I hope you all slept well?"

"I slept great!" Naruto exclaimed while tossing an arm over an annoyed Sasuke's shoulders.

"I didn't! Since sensei took the other bed, I had to sleep next to you! You roll around too much!"

"No, I don't! Stop lying Sasuke!"

"Yes, you do! You bumped into me three times and rolled over me not once, but five times in the span of seven hours!"

"Eh, I still slept well."

You giggle and grab Sasuke's forearm as you all exit the inn, heading towards the village's gates. The somber feeling of guilt and displeasure swept through you as you passed by the gates and journeyed once more into the woods.