Interlude: High School Days

"Aren't you Y/N? The person who ranked second on the mocks?" A fair looking boy asked, sitting backwards on a chair in front of my desk. I silently nod, scanning his face and recognizing him in less than a second. "Nice to meet you! I'm-"

"My rival? That's what the people in the school call us. I mean, I'm six points away from being in first place," I cut him off. "Choi Yeonjun, I will surely surpass you in the real exam." My tone wasn't stern, it was calm but I was suffering with nervousness on the inside. I'm talking to the top student, and I have the nerve to cut him off.

He didn't say anything in return, but smirked with a nod instead. He was acknowledging me and my clear goal. The bell rings shortly after so he tails back to his seat.

"Kim Myeong-in and Kang Yerin." The two girls shrieked excitedly that they are being paired up in this project. The whole class was basically envious of the two good friends being paired up together by the teacher while they get to be with either the person they do not like or the person they know absolutely nothing about.

"Y/F/N and Choi Yeonjun." And there goes my luck.

"Hey, I was thinking of the study café a few minutes away from here-" My school project partner said after catching up to me. I was walking towards the gate, hoping that I was able to avoid him for the rest of the day. I felt unknowingly embarrassed after cutting him off like that earlier today.

"We'll split tasks." And I cut him off again. Way to go, me!

"What?"

"We'll split tasks," I repeated after halting. I turned to him, and the moment I did so, my stomach did this fold that I can't even bother explaining what that felt like. It also creeped up to the center of my chest, "Uh, yeah. I'll do the first part of the research and you do the second part. We'll talk about who gets to work on the powerpoint and who gets to present later."

Yeonjun nods, eventually accepting my suggestion. I was kind of surprised that he didn't speak back against it, so I took that opportunity to walk out of the school gate successfully. It was barely a success, though.