Chapter 1: Back

Monse's POV:
"Do I really have to go? You saw how Cesar looked at me." I remind Jasmine. "Doesn't matter. It might be his party but it's your chance to make him jealous. There's a lotta Santos out here." She wiggles her eyebrows. "I'm not going after another Santo." I roll my eyes. "Really? I thought you were into the whole gang thing." She shrugs. "Jasmine!" I yell. "Focus. I'm not going." I say. "Sorry girl, it's too late." She pulls over at Cesar's house and puts her keys in her bra. "I'll just wait in the car." I say. "No." Jasmine gets out and opens my door. "What do you mean no?" I laugh and she pulls me out. "Seriously, Jasmine?!" I try to fight back but she just pulls me right out. "Get drunk or something. I'm gonna go find some Santo d." She locks the car and I follow her inside. "I'm not babysitting you all night." She tells me. "You brought me here, I'm your responsibility." I smile. "Oh, and you're driving so I'll just take this." I say while I take her beer. "Great. So happy you're back." She says sarcastically. Jasmine walks away and I end up alone with a bunch of strangers. "Screw this." I walk to the bathroom and plan on locking myself in their for the rest of the night but I see Cesar alone in his room. Maybe I stare too long but he notices me. "Hey." He smiles and I wanna punch him. "Oh you're talking to me?" I roll my eyes. "Why wouldn't I be?" Cesar asks from his bed. "You have a girlfriend." I point out. "Doesn't mean I can't have friends." He shrugs. "But you don't." I tell him. "I could." Cesar's always so damn annoying. "We're not. We can't be." I shrug. "Why not?" He smirks. "Every time we try, we end up naked." I remind him. "Yeah, I remember you liking that part." Cesar says. "Anything's better than talking to you." I smile. "Why'd you look so mad when you saw me?" I ask quickly. "Why'd you look hurt?" He asks. "Remember the whole 'I'll be here when you get back no matter how long it takes' thing? That's why."I explain. "I'm here." He laughs. "Yeah, with a girlfriend!" I glare at him. "You stopped answering my texts, my calls, hell I even emailed you." He says. "Besides, last time I checked, you left me." Cesar reminds me. "You didn't really try to stop me." I cross my arms. "What do you think all those texts were about?" He asks and I start to walk away. "You know when you told me you knew I wasn't 'ride or die' that shit hurt." I turn back around. "I was just telling you what I saw. You left the second shit got-" he really thinks I'm gonna let him finish. "No, 'cause I went through hell and back for you a hundred times for you and you didn't see it. You went from wanting out of the life to needing all the power and I stuck with you! Cesar, you know how many times I got rolled up on 'cause of you? How was I supposed to just get over that?" I ask him and he doesn't respond. "Exactly! But you still acted like I just bailed the first time anything went wrong. You're forgetting that dating a gang leader isn't fucking easy!" I yell. "But that's exactly what you did! You saw one bad thing and you left." Cesar gets in my face and I laugh. "What, you trying to scare me again? How about you throw my phone? Or maybe ask me to start dealing? Oh or you can bring a gun on all of our dates? How about you break into my room in the middle of the night?!" I scream and he shuts his room door. "You can't just say shit like." Cesar whispers. "Anyways, I apologized for all that." He laughs. "It was way too late." I say. "You didn't seem so pissed off when I gave you whatever you and your rich ass friends wanted. I barely even recognized you when you got back. Mayfield took the hood out of you." Cesar shakes his head. "Right, 'cause you only liked me when I was at your level. You never wanted to see me get out." I tell him and now he looks pissed. "Whoever this girl is, she doesn't know me. Maybe when you're Monse again we can have a real conversation." He sits back on his bed. "That's it?" I laugh. "Yeah, I don't have anything else to say to you." He opens the door back up and motions for me to go. "You changed, I didn't. I loved you but you put me in danger. Tell me what I was supposed to do? Please just tell me because I've been asking myself that nonstop for a year!" I scream. "You gotta go, my girlfriend's not gonna wanna see you here." He says with a straight face. "Right, the girl who hates me for literally no reason." I cross my arms. "You always have to bring the drama." He mumbles. "Yeah, that's me. I'm the reason we had to find the money, got rolled up on, got kidnapped, got shot at... all me." I laugh sarcastically. "Winter break is too fucking long." Cesar gets in my face and I smile. "You haven't heard." I laugh again. "Heard what?!" He yells. "You're stuck with me. I'm back." I kiss him. "What the fuck?" Vero says when she opens the door and I push past her. "It's cool, I'm done with him... for now." What the hell did I just do?
"That dumb ass mother fucker!" Jasmine yells when I tell her what he said. "He was acting like it's my fault he made all these dumb ass choices." I sit next to her. "Men." She shakes her head. "I might've made things worse." I say when I see Vero walking towards us. "What the hell did you do?!" She looks at Vero. "I kissed him... and she caught me." I wince. "You kissed him?!" Jasmine yells and we run.