Chapter 25

A/N: Shoutout to @megan2581 for voting on so many chapters, ily. not gonna bother y'all with what's going on with my life so here you go

They didn't see Hagrid when they got out of the train. But Harry did see weird reptilian pegasus things that nobody else could see.

Harry?

Who— Sirius?

Yeah, what's wrong? You pulled on the bond-link.

I did? Okay, I did. I think I'm hallucinating. I can see these weird horse things that look like lizards and have weird, milky eyes—

Yeah, those are Thestrals, Harry. They...aren't the most joyous creatures.

Like Dementors?

No, they don't really do anything, they are useful. They are misunderstood because you can only see them when you've seen...well, Death. Really, I'm surprised you can only see them now.

"...ry? Harry?"

Harry snapped out of it and realized he was in the carriages now.

"Sorry, I was...thinking."

"You can see them, can't you?" Neville asked in a low voice, "The thestrals?"

"You can too?"

"Me and Luna and every— never mind. Yeah, I can see them."

"I never realized."

"Not many people can see them, Harry," Neville said, "But they're really cool."

"Did everyone see that Grubbly-Plank woman?" asked Ginny. "What's she doing back here? Hagrid can't have left, can he?"

"I'll be quite glad if he has," said Luna. "He isn't a very good teacher, is he?"

"Yes, he is!" said Harry, Ron, and Ginny angrily.

Harry glared at Hermione; she cleared her throat and quickly said, "Erm . . . yes . . . he's very good."

"Well, we think he's a bit of a joke in Ravenclaw," said Luna, unfazed.

"You've got a rubbish sense of humor then," Ron snapped, as the wheels below them creaked into motion.

"Well," Neville grimaced, "He's not allowed to be a teacher, really." In spite of the glares he was receiving, he forged on. "Hagrid was expelled in his third year, everyone knows that. So he didn't take his OWLs or NEWTs which means he's not adept to be a teacher."

Right now, Harry didn't know if he admired New Neville or not.

Harry didn't have time to dwell on that. He needed to think about the thestrals.