4

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The ceremony, despite the struggles of some of the guests, went smoothly. The reception gradually became a mess of toasts to health (and toasts to children, from the elderly, which had the added effect of making everyone uncomfortable). Of all the faces present, Patriarch Braginski was noticeably missing, as was the youngest of his children. Natalia was likely doing some sort of school project, but the absence of the Patriarch made most uncomfortable. It caused whispers.

Ekaterina's presence did little to quell the noises that came from people's lips. If anything, her being here heightened everything- and Ivan never meeting the bride was also something that was a mistake. So Alfred clung to his boyfriend's arm, providing the stable example that the family was missing. People knew him. He was a god of the underworld, a peaceful, deific example in the fucked up world of the drug trade.

Nikolai made a whole show out of the girdle, which granted laughter around as he carried the fabric in his teeth for a whole five minutes, or until he was shoving cake down his throat like he was starving to death.

No fights broke out when the booze was discovered, so that caused a whole lot of worried bystanders to let out their breaths of relief, all of them understanding that these two clans loved to fight with one another.

When the night ended, he told his father mournfully that he wouldn't be able to make it back before two and that since he was so tired from driving they were sleeping in a motel for the night.

The air was brisk as he and Ivan strode out of the clubhouse, mumbling to each other. Ivan threw his coat over Alfred's shoulders, and he decided he would keep it throughout the car ride, slipping into the door when Ivan opened it. While Ivan hadn't drank anything, Alfred had been ordering different wines left and right, making him grumble about nothing.

"That went horribly," Ivan sighed, planting his head on the steering wheel.

"It went better than I expected," Alfred shrugged, leaning over to kiss him on the shoulder, "I thought there would have been fights."

"My father should have been there," Ivan whispered, "now what do they think?"

"Hm, what's he doing?"

Ivan shook his head, "I never know what he's doing."

Alfred gave a small laugh, "C'mon big guy. Let's just go home and forget about it. It's over."

Ivan glanced up, "I thought you said you told your father you wouldn't be able to get back tonight."

"I did," Alfred confirmed, "you live somewhere, don't you?"

"Alfred-" Ivan paused, to test his words carefully, "my father might be home. I don't want him doing anything to you."

Alfred sighed. All these years, he'd never been inside his boyfriend's home. He thought that at this point he might at least be allowed to see it, since at some point he's probably going to be expected to clean it.

He reached over to his hand, running his thumb over his knuckles. Ivan softened immediately, pressing his face into his shoulder.

"Not a big strong alpha, hmm?" Alfred teased, "Just a little baby, aren't ya?"

Ivan sighed. Alfred gave a small smile.

Ivan house was modest, blending in with the other houses in the suburbs that it resided in. The only hint that this place was a little more expensive were the two gates, one with a guard. But, unlike the Vargas' mansions, they had neighbors who were not family.