9

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ivan gripped the steering wheel, looking at the house. The address that Chestibor had given him was in an abandoned region. A building across from the house was boarded. The house itself was large, with offshoots likely not approved of by the state. Those offshoots looked empty, some of their windows broken, others with holes in the roofs and walls.

Alfred just stared.

"Do you want to meet your mother?"

"Give me a second," he said, tears welling in his eyes, "just a second, please."

"Do you know this house?"

He sniffled, pressing his forehead to the window, "Yeah. I was really little when they were building the offshoots but I still remember it, 'cause my uncles did it, and I held the nails-"

A sob broke his lips, and he quieted, allowing Ivan to gently rub his back.

"I'll be right behind you."

Alfred let out a breath.

"I know," Alfred said, "I'm ready."

Ivan nodded, stepping out of the car just after Alfred. He walked slowly up the cracked steps towards the door, giving a gentle knock.

A woman opened the door slowly, her eyes narrowed before her mouth fell open. The two stared at each other for a moment.

"Dyami?" Alfred threw his arms around her, whimpering. Ivan didn't know whether to turn his head or not as the two cried, holding onto each other so that nothing could bring them apart again.

"Mom," he cried, "I'm so sorry mom."

"For what?" she said, "For nothing. Don't be sorry for nothing."

Alfred continued to sob, to the point where it was impossible for the alpha to ignore. He stepped closer, not quite sure how he was going to get Alfred to stop crying like he was. The woman's eyes widened as he stepped closer, holding her son even tighter. Her eyes were a warning until Alfred patted her on the arm.

"My husband."

"You're... married?" she whispered, more tears welling.

"Almost," he said, "I postponed. I wanted you to be there."

She let out a deep breath, before attempting to compose herself.

"I am Winema Cahokia," she said, "who are you?"

"Ivan. Ivan Braginski," he replied, shaking her offered hand.

"Braginski?"

"Yes, ma'am," he nodded. He didn't know why this was so nerve wracking. Winema looked at her son, before looking back at him.

"You've-"

"I have everything. I know where all the Ganondagan are. I can reunite the family," Alfred said quickly, "I can get you whatever you want, whatever you need."

"You've grown up so much," she finished, pressing their foreheads together.

"Winema! It shouldn't take that long to send the Mormons back where they came from!"

"Powaqa, come out," Winema called. There was rustling, and a thinner woman stepped out of the house, looking between the two.

"Dyami?" She said, "There isn't any way-"

"It's him," Winema confirmed, "he came back."

Powaqa gave a laugh, before embracing her nephew.