5. Midnight talks hit deep

Az closed his eyes as he sat on the couch. He had papers stacked up in his apartment but right now he was too tired and lazy to do it. Shortly after the performance was over, everyone had dispersed. Mor was with Cassian now, wandering through the streets of Velaris. It didn't prick him like it used to. Well.... Just a tad these days- he ended up looking after their hungover asses in the mornings. He didn't know what changed but... he had stopped pining over Mor over the last few years. It had reduced bit by bit until one day it had hit him like a storm... he didn't love Mor now; it had been an infatuation -born out of despair- that he was now rid of. Mor had become more like his best friend now.

Just that moment, Eve waltzed in the room. She had been craving some iced tea and was going back to her room when she saw Az. Sipping on her cold tea, she made her way towards him. "Can't sleep either?" he asked her, still looking at the night sky visible from the balcony. "More like won't sleep," this time he looked at her. "Today was good... I don't want it to end," Eve admitted. Az hummed and they fell into a comfortable silence which only got disturbed now and then when Eve drank her iced-tea. "Have you ever flown?" Azriel asked Eve. She nodded. "Yeah a couple of times but, not like how you have flown. I boarded an airplane... it's like flying in a carriage, but a huge one with only small windows to look from," Eve explained.

Az nodded before asking, "How about we go fly now?" Eve looked up at him in surprise, she wasn't expecting this. "Really?" "Really," he said and she jumped up, her drink forgotten. Az chuckled before making his way towards the balcony with a now grinning Eve. He offered his hand without a second thought.... He really was tired. Before he could take it back, Eve took his hand. Az observed her reaction but she didn't give any. She did not take her hand back, she did not scrunch up her face, she simply smiled at him with anticipation. Right then. Clearing his throat, he took to the skies mentally thanking Eve for not turning away after feeling his scars. 

"Gosh, I always loved the night," Eve whispered after a few minutes. She seemed at peace in his arms, he subtly tightened his hold and whispered near her ear, "want to go crazy?" She nodded vigorously. He suddenly sped up making a shout of delight leave Eve's mouth.

After another few minutes, he flew to the Sidra's bank. He put Eve down gently who stumbled a bit before righting herself. "Thank you for that," she said softly, gazing at the night sky. "Anytime," he said, looking at her. "You seem at peace," he observed out loud. "I am, I have always been fond of the dark and the night," she said, not elaborating further. Az found her more and more intriguing now. Who is fond of darkness? It was usually linked to terrors and for him- memories of his brothers now and then.

"Can- can I ask you something?" Az asked, finally deciding to voice the question that had been bugging him since the start. She nodded. "You have never reacted before to my appearance the way people usually do," she looked at him- not understanding so he continued, "you even touched my- my scars today and yet..." Az said, unable to properly voice it.

Eve's mouth turned into a 'oh' before she said slowly, "I don't know the story behind them but I am sure it is a painful one. You are a good male and those scars are a part of you, they tell your story. Honestly, the first time I saw you properly, you know when I wasn't vomiting," she chuckled softly at that, "I didn't even notice them." She looked at him- in the eyes and said smiling now, "I was too caught up by those eyes of yours." Az gulped. She didn't know how much those words meant to him, that the first thing someone noticed about him wasn't his scars or his cold mask. She was still looking at him, so sincerely, the mask gone. The mask that had been gone since Mor' birthday dinner.

"They were given to me by my brothers," Az started looking at the horizon. Eve visibly stiffened. "My blood brothers," he clarified, "they wanted to see how fast I could heal." And so Azriel told her all about his scars, how he met his family and what he had done later. He opened up to someone after centuries and it felt good... it felt good to tell Eve. Somewhere in the middle, she had held his hand a fiery rage in her eyes directed towards his blood brothers. For some reason, Az knew he could trust her, for some reason Az wanted to lay himself bare to her and gauge her reaction to him. After he finished, he took a deep breath, all his impulsiveness leaving him. He was now almost scared to see her reaction, he kept his eyes on the horizon.

When he finished all Eve had to say was, "You are beautiful, every part of you." He slowly looked towards her, his eyes glimmering. "Thank you," he managed to croak out. "Thank you for sharing that with me," she said, never breaking eye contact.

"I like the darkness because it gives me comfort," she started and Az knew what was it. This was her being vulnerable with him like he had been and still was, this was her reciprocating his trust. Az promised at that moment to himself that he would always protect Eve.

"I grew up in a loving household but that didn't mean we weren't without problems. My mum and dad almost constantly were at cross roads and then suddenly, there would be moments were they acted as if everything was perfect. It infuriated me, I hated them for it. One moment I was being told to not talk about family matters with anyone and the next I was a part of a perfect family. I hate them for letting that girl bear the brunt of all that fighting, it took a toll on her. That girl had to shut her mouth whenever something happened as she was just a kid- she didn't know anything, she had to keep her arrogant nature in check, she had to try and be her father's 'princess'. So, I found solace in the dark when everyone was silent, there was no fighting, no expectations that I thawed. Only the moon and stars. They were my confidantes; they were my solitude. Since then, since I was a kid, I have been a child of the night. The sun might see me as perfect but the moon knows my broken self," she said and Az held her hand a bit tighter.

"What did they fight about?" he asked. "Mostly about how my grandmother sucks. My dad defended her while mom accused. It got worse a lot, I was at a point where I wished they'd divorce so that I could live in peace," she laughed bitterly. "Consciously or not, their fights although having reasons that I understood, specially my mom's, I don't think that the girl would ever forgive them for the pain that they caused her and its consequences. That girl changed though, she let go and then became who I am now," Eve sighed. And Az knew she talked about Eve's love for poems and fiction, about her mask and how she found solace in darkness, music, dance and.... Shadows. He sent a few towards her and Eve gave him a grateful smile.

"Well, enough of this sappiness, Shadowsinger, we don't want to ruin your reputation of having perfected the best scowl to be ruined by someone seeing us right now," Eve said trying to lighten the situation.

"From Azriel to Shadowsinger? I thought we were on our way to Az," he said, his lips curving up a bit. He honestly loved the sound of Shadowsinger coming from her lips.... It sounded sweet somehow.

"Ignoring the part where I said you havemastered the scowl, I see," Eve said, ignoring Az herself. He simply shook hishead, trying to hide his grin while perfecting the scowl and looked at heragain. She saw his face and laughed and it was impossible for Azriel to hidehis answering smile. Tonight, had been great. 

Happy reading!

XOXO,

the amazing author who is sleep deprived