48. Sister

By the time Eve was done helping the wounded, she was exhausted. Sighing, she trudged back to where Feyre now sat with Mor. "You could've helped alongside us, you know," Feyre said, looking at her weary state.

"I know," Eve said simply and sat beside Feyre extending her hand. Feyre passed her the water from which Eve drank as if she hadn't seen even a sip of water in days. "Mother, I am exhausted," Mor said and sat beside them.

"Where is Nesta?" Eve asked, wiping her mouth with the sleeve of her shirt. "Inside," Feyre replied while Mor went stiff. Sensing something had happened, Eve did not pry further.

"Tomorrow is going to be another long day, isn't it?" Eve asked, rhetorically. "Today was in our favour," Mor finally said. "Let us hope tomorrow and the days that follow remain the same then," Eve said, staring at some healer who rushed to get some herbs.

The next two days went the same- in helping and healing. Eve was the only person Nesta talked to more than few clipped words due to which she became the object of eyeing of Feyre's. On the third day, Eve left for a clearing after informing Nesta should anyone ask for her whereabouts. Az had not yet returned.

"You should have asked one us to accompany you," a voice came from behind when she reached her decided spot to let go of a bit of steam. She turned around to find Rhys standing with his hands casually in his pockets. He had deep bags under his eye yet, formidable as ever.

"You all were busy. You all are busy," Eve shrugged. "Never for our family though," Rhys replied, walking towards her. At this, Eve blinked. Rhys chuckled, "after all that has been done, all that we have gone through, what do you think you mean to us?" he asked. "Friends?" Eve said.

Rhys shook his head. "You are family Eve." Her eyes started getting wet and she shook her head in denial. "You are," Rhys insisted, "like a sister to me. A very good friend to Mor and my mate. A fellow companion and sister to Cass, and Amren tolerates you like she does all of us. You even, somehow, befriended Nesta and I don't think you understand how much that means and as for Az... well, I suspect you mean the most to him."

Eve blinked as the tears threatened to come falling. Sister. Family. Who knew? Yet, she shook he head. "I do not deserve that position," she said hoarsely, remembering what had happened to Rhys' actual sister and mother- and that is why, the fact that he wanted to give her that honour even after she had failed....

"You are a part of my Inner Circle. You are a part of my family and when this war is over, I will tell you once again that you are not alone till you believe me," he said softly.

"Why?" Eve asked. "You saved my Inner Circle when it needed saving the most. You volunteered to protect my mate's sisters and in the course of the years, you have wormed your way into our hearts," Rhys said, understanding what she meant. When Eve did not reply, he sighed. "Rest, Eve. We all need it, you the most."

She shook her head, "I have been working on a theory. I need to test it."

"Later," Rhys said firmly. Eve looked at him for a long moment before sighing and giving in. He was right, she hadn't slept properly in days, she needed to sleep. Muttering, "stubborn High Lords, pain in my ass," she made her way back with a chuckling Rhys who had heard her, on her side.

He gave her a parting hug when they reached her tent which she shared with Nesta. "Rest, I will wake you up should we need any help."

"I doubt it," she sniffed. Chuckling once again, Rhys shooed her in.

*****

Feyre bent down as she entered the tent to see Eve who had not come out the whole day. It had been four days since the battle and Az was yet to return. Rhys had almost pushed her out of the war tent, insisting she needed to eat something. She only gave in when he suggested that she could use this time to talk to Eve. He was her mate after all, nothing went unnoticed by him.

Eve was softly snoring when Feyre entered. She sighed as she watched her with guilty eyes. Every time she saw Eve these days, her mind couldn't help but bring back the time in Spring when she had been so focused on bringing down Tamlin that she had forgotten about Eve. Eve who had lost her everything while protecting Feyre's sisters and got dragged into a mess that never was hers to start with.

"Are you going to stare or say something?" Eve's eyes cracked open. Shaking her head, Feyre came and sat down next to her. "Are you hungry? You haven't come out whole day," she asked. Eve shook her head. "Need any help?" Eve asked.

"Only when it comes to dinner. Sit with us-" Eve interrupted, "I do sit with you all." Feyre shook her head, "and eat." Eve sighed at that.

"You know...." Eve started after a moment of silence, "you don't have to feel guilty." Feyre blinked her eyes in surprise. "Every time you have this sad, guilty look whenever you look at me. What happened... wasn't your fault." Feyre gulped and hugged her which Eve returned.

"I am so, so sorry for what all happened to you," Feyre said, in between sobs. Eve shook her head, "you had your own stuff to deal with. I don't blame you. I blame Hybern and they, they are going to pay in blood soon." Feyre sniffed and nodded, a determined look suddenly entering her eyes.

"Can I come in?" a voice came from outside. "Come on in, Rhys and look after your mate. I can't bear to see her cry for something that was out of her control," Eve said, looking at Feyre affectionately.

"Cleared things up, have we?" he asked, standing next to Feyre. Eve hummed. It was then, as if something had clicked for him, he looked at Eve and blinked. "You called me Rhys," he said. Eve chuckled at that, "don't let it get to your head, High Lord."

"Never," he grinned, "Little sister."

Happy reading :)

XOXO,

the amazing author  

Good news that is completely unrelated: my project deadline got extended by 2 weeks !!!!