19. Speechless

"Kiss Me by 1D," Eve stated. Mike shook his head, "Dynamite by BTS."

"What are you two going about?" Rhysand asked, sauntering in. He looked a bit tired.

"Which song to sing first if we ever had proper instruments and a band," Eve replied. "We are at an impasse," Mike said sadly. "How about Butter?" Eve asked. Mike thought about it before nodding his head.

"As usual, I have no clue what you two are talking about," Rhys shook his head, smiling a bit. "Hey! Are you coming to listen to us at Java's this evening?" Mike asked him. Rhys nodded, "looking forward to it. Beware though, with all the compliments going around my expectations are high, you better bring your best."

"Don't worry, we are even singing an original today," Eve said. "And it is fun-f*cking-tastic," Mike whooped. Rhys chuckled, "we will see."

The duo scowled but Rhys had already waved and winnowed away.

******

"... don't understand how someone can look so good. Also, his acting as Kaz in Shadow and Bone is-" Eve rambled. She didn't quite remember how they ended up here but, she wasn't complaining.

"Oh my god Eve, please give my ears some rest, I beg you," Mike groaned. He could only listen to her rambling so much- he hadn't had his evening coffee yet. Eve pouted making Mike sigh, "just till I have coffee." "Alright, alright," Eve huffed.

Az leaned against the wall as he watched Eve animatedly talk about something with Mike. He could hear them if he wanted to but didn't want to invade their privacy. So, he simply observed her as she said something with a grin on her face. Her cheeks were tinged pink and there was this hazy look in her eyes that made him want to know what was the topic of discussion.

"Hey," Az came into view. Eve instantly brightened more.... if that was possible. "Hey Az." Mike watched the two in amusement... ah, new love. "Ready to go?" Az asked; they were going to perform tonight. "As soon as Mike has had his coffee."

"Can't blame me... coffee is a requirement if you are going to talk my ears off about him," Mike shrugged. "Him?" Az asked. "My celebrity crush," Eve replied, filling him in, "and I do not talk about him that much." "You so do!" Eve huffed.

After a cup of coffee and quick glances between Az and Eve, they finally winnowed outside Java café. Eve groaned when they were welcomed by no other than Serena 2.0 who for once, wasn't scowling at them which made the trio a bit suspicious.

"I want to put our rivalry aside," she said coming up to them. "Why the change of heart?" Mike asked. Serena shrugged, "it has almost become a nuisance and I now have more important things to look after." Eve just stared at her suspiciously. Serena sighed when it was apparent that no one was going to reply, "think about it," and left.

"Huh."

******

Eve cleared her throat. Time for the performance. No matter how many times she did this, she always was a bit nervous at start. She quickly took a big gulp of the juice that she had ordered and took her place on the mini stage that Bri had allotted to them.

The first song was the one the duo had written. "This one is named: Homesickness written by us, hope you all like it," Mike said. There was a round of encouragements thrown before the duo started.

Eve looked around as she sang, trying to find someone familiar she liked but instead found her eyes betraying her- they landed on Serena 2.0 who had a hand draped over the guy Eve had a one-night stand with. Things made so much more sense now.

"Wandering through the barren fields now,

my hope is all but crashing down.

Tears falling as the storm brews on,

will I ever find this 'home' others keep talking about?"

Mike vocalized as she sung the lyrics.

Eve's eyes fitted through the crowds again, this time landing on Bri who raised her glass in appreciation. Getting a boost of confidence, Eve reached the crescendo of the song.

There was silence before one person whooped and then the next and then the next. Soon enough, Mike was smiling satisfyingly as Eve bowed, chuckling.

"Now the next one is called Speechless. This one is not an original though," Eve said after a short break and started.

Serena was tapping her heels on the floor. Any moment now, any moment now she would take the one thing about Eve that the male standing next to her talked about- her voice, albeit temporarily. Cauldron, she hated the duo's singing skills... they weren't that good according to her.

"All I know is that I won't go speechless, all I know is that I won't go speechless, speechless."

Eve felt the pain in her throat as she hit the note- wrongly. Her voice seemed to wobble a bit which didn't go unnoticed by Mike who looked at her with concern. Eve never hit the wrong note. She looked at Mike, eyes wide signaling him to end the song. He immediately understood and did so.

"Sorry folks, we will be taking a five-minute break, an emergency has um popped up." Mike said and followed Eve who had ran away to the bathroom the minute the music had stopped playing. Az followed along with Mor.

They found her retching in one of the stalls. Mor quickly went to help her while Az was getting more and more concerned by the minute.

Eve calmed down and came out after a minute. "What happened?" Az asked as one his shadows went and curled around her neck protectively. Eve opened her mouth but to sound came. Her eyes grew wide in panic as she tried again- and failed.

Juice was spiked, his shadows whispered to him as Mor tried calming her. Voice is gone.. immediate help is needed. Az grew furious, whoever did this will pay. He was about to storm out but then saw Eve's utterly horrified state and stopped; Eve was his priority at the moment. "Hey, hey, it will be fine, we'll go to Madja," Az said as he went over to where she stood.

She took a few breaths and stopped shivering, although tears ran down her cheeks. Meanwhile, Mike went ahead and informed Bri and the Inner Circle what happened.

Rhys was instantly at her side as soon as they went back to the dining area. "Let's get you to Madja," he said and offered his hand. Eve took it; her mind running possibilities where she might never be able to speak again. 

Happy reading :)

XOXO,

the amazing author