25. Hybern

Az' heart stopped for the third time tonight as he saw the sisters and Eve enter. Eve had dried tears and blood on her face- he hoped it was not hers. And Mike? Something like stone settled in his stomach.

Elain was sobbing hysterically, Nesta was fighting with all she had while Eve- Eve stood as still as a statue. She simply stared at the King, her focus coming in and out. Only once did she glance at the Inner Circle, doing a double take when she saw him. Other than that, her gaze was captured by the King. It was as if she was in shock, not registering anything. The world moved on but Eve remained unknowing to it all.

Eve stared and stared at the King of Hybern. This was why the soldiers had come, this was why she had made her first kill, taken somebody's life- just like that anonymous soldier had taken Mike's, and this was the reason she might die tonight and join Mike. Her Mike, her best friend.

She would never see him smile again, never cuddle or sing with him. She would never make references that only the two of them knew, she would never hear his voice again. They would never banter or have silly fights again. She would never sing with him again. Never again. Death was a cold thing and it had come for him at the mere age of 20. It sent a pang through her heart.

Her body and mind slowly started coordinating again. Eve's sorrow turned into pure agony and rage as she stared at the King's face who blatantly ignored her and watched the entertainment unfold. Him and the queens. They would pay. They would pay for what was done to Mike. Eve tuned into the conversation as she saw one of the queens say, "Then show us—prove this gift you mentioned."

"You're a fool." Rhys said softly. The King's smile tugged upwards in a cruel, wicked smirk. ""Is she? Why submit to old age and ailments when what I offer is so much better? Eternal youth. Do you deny the benefits? A mortal queen becomes one who might reign forever. Of course, there are risks—the transition can be ... difficult. But a strong-willed individual could survive." He said, gesturing towards Feyre.

Eve's mind whirled. 

"Show us. Demonstrate it can be done, that it is safe." The queens nodded in anticipation. They stood there as if they were not the reason Velaris was attacked, as if they weren't the reason she was here. Eve snarled softly- though no one noticed it except Az.

"Why did you think I asked my dear friend Ianthe to see who Feyre Archeron would appreciate having with her for eternity? Oh, I asked them first. They deemed it too ... uncouth to betray young, misguided women." The King said, looking towards the queens. "Ianthe had no such qualms. Consider it my wedding present for you both," he added to the blonde guy who Eve assumed was Tamlin the tool. Ianthe. The name got stuck in her head. She had betrayed them, she would pay. Eve thought, full of bloodlust in the wake of Mike's death which no one seemed to mention or notice. This only made her angrier.

Eve went back to her thoughts- Ianthe wasn't here which meant Eve had to leave alive so that she could exact justice. A life for a life. But ... Mike wouldn't be waiting for her then. A life without him.... It seemed impossible. The one person she had borne herself completely to was gone, and with it, so was her will. But no, she would take revenge and then and then only would she leave this world. Right? That was her job as his best friend. But to survive one moment in a world without him....

Eve's thoughts were snagged when a blinding light shook the room. Cassian's scream filled the air, soon followed by Az. Eve had to wince away from the horrible scene.

The king rose from his throne carved out of suffering and agony of innocents. "What a mighty queen you are," he breathed. And Mor backed away. "What a prize," the king said. Azriel's head lifted from where he was sprawled and snarled, "Don't you touch her."

The king shrugged and finally turned his head towards where Eve stood along with the sisters. "Put the prettier one in first." After that, Eve barely registered what others did as she and Nesta fought against the grips of the soldiers. No, it was her job, no, that bitch won't get what he wants. But it was all in vain as she saw Elain disappear beneath the Cauldron. It felt like eternity before Elain rose up again.... Changed.

Eve whirled towards the King. "You bitch. How dare you, you filthy little-" Someone struck her. She spat out some blood but didn't let it falter her. "You will pay. You will pay for what you did to her and what you did to Mike. I promise you that." She was struck again. The king gave her an amused look although it was hard to not notice the hard glint in his eyes. "Put her in next."

Eve thrashed she would not let him violate her body like that. Never. She punched the soldier holding her with all her might and he stumbled... not expecting the move or strength from a human. Taking the sword that was hung on his waist, she butchered him and the next who tried coming at her. The king snarled and two more Fae replaced the dead soldiers and started to take her towards the Cauldron. Somewhere Az bellowed, a sound full of fury but Eve paid no heed- the Cauldron was getting closer. She thrashed and thrashed till they practically had to push her into the vessel. And then, all went dark. 

Happy reading :) 

XOXO,

the amazing author