27. The Spring Court

It had been weeks since Eve came to the Spring Court with Feyre who seemed to be playing her role with success. Tamlin believed her but Lucien still had his reservations. Eve had too chosen her lies, although, it compromised her role towards Ianthe.

The lie spun was quite simple- Eve was a human before, Rhysand had her under influence so that she couldn't remember anything and thus, had no memories of the past few years. So, according to Tamlin who had given Ianthe permission to come to the manor, Eve should be thankful that turning into Fae had released Rhys' power on her. She had almost thrown a glass vase at him that day.

Lucien understood her better- he was on the same page as her when it came to Ianthe that is, kill her. She spent her time with Lucien mostly, away from Feyre' naïve, gullible demeanour. Eve agreed that Lucien was a dick but it was either him or the reunited, lovely couple whose sight made her barf every time she saw them together. It was also much easier to be with a stranger than someone who had known her before... everything had happened.

At first, her time at the manor was spent locked in a room with only the healer allowed in. Anybody else were met with throwing knives which no one had a clue where she acquired from. She was plagued with nightmares and seizures until some maid had taken pity on her and given her a dreamless sleep tonic along with one for her body. She was addicted to them for stability by now. Faebane helped too- the ice and fire remained subdued when she secretly added a bit of Faebane (learnt from Lucien when studying Fae' weaknesses) in her meals to control her new powers.

Her powers had emerged twice only. Once, when the healer had been checking up on her and the other time, when she had been plagued by a nightmare. Her eyes had turned ice blue and red then.

After a week or so she had made her first appearance in the dining hall, clad in a sleek gown with hidden pockets. Feyre had been overjoyed on seeing her friend leave the bedroom. Later that night she had told Feyre it was only so that she could get closer to Ianthe who was to arrive in a few days' time. Eve wasn't thinking much then that these days- she wasn't wondering how her new body affected her mind and soul, how she had killed 4 people and mostly, how life without Mike would be. She became emotionless except when it came to rage and annoyance and hate. Hate for herself, and hate for Hybern.

After taking the tonics, Eve had finally had a clear mind which help her formulate her next steps. Unlike Feyre, she didn't need to put up an act as no one had known her before. So, she remained herself.... Herself without Mike. She would stay here with Feyre, help take down Tamlin and Ianthe (she still had reservations about taking the whole court down though), and then when all was done, she would exact her revenge and run away from this hell.

Ianthe arrived. Lucien held her while she itched to get a knife. She had a fight with Tamlin before which had led to confiscation of her knives till she learned to respect Ianthe.

"You will learn to respect her and you will not, in any way or form, harm her. It is Feyre's choice in the end, she will decide after we hear Ianthe."

"To hell with that. The moment she steps into the manor, she is dead. And no one can stop me."

"You will obey me." "Bite me." And then Tamlin had exploded; changed into a horrifying beast. The glass windows shattered and shards missed Eve by centimeters. "You missed," Eve said, only adding to his fury. "You will obey me or you will meet your death before Ianthe." Eve snarled and had left after a vulgar gesture.

Tamlin had seen her getting her knives ready, had sent Feyre out with Lucien and intervened her, knowing that she would be helpless.

"It's Feyre' decision." Lucien mummered to her, bringing her back from the memory. She snarled, to hell with that, she wanted that pretty face to scream bloody murder. Yet, Eve only listened as Lucien made his thoughts clear to Ianthe while Tamlin gave him warning glances. Oh Tamlin, that fool, he wasn't a fit High Lord , he deserved whatever Feyre had planned for him. It was the only thing that kept Eve from reaching the idiot's throat and strangling him.

"Everyone standing here might forgive you, but remember, you have made quite an impression and people have .... reservations about your existence now, Ianthe." Eve said to her. "And you are?" she asked- unaffected by Eve' threat. "Someone you will never forget." And with that Eve left, knowing that making a move now would be futile.

******

The next few weeks, Eve spent away from the Hybern' emissaries. The three had only met Eve twice. Once during dinner where she had felt a headache taking over that went as quickly as it had come and the second time, when she had been sneaking of to the kitchens where she had met Daghdan. All the other times, they kept out of each other's' way... well, at least Eve did not spy on them as they did on her.

She talked with Lucien when things got to much- she ranted. Today was one of those days. "Even her smile is sickly. I hate her Lucien; she is the reason that Mike is gone. That I am alone." Lucien simply sighed and rubbed her back. She let him. After a minute he said, "I do too, Eve. She- she did things to me that I will forever despise her for even if I did it with free will later." Eve looked at him, "tell me. It helps." And so, Lucien did. By the end of it, Eve was seething. No one deserved what Lucien had gone through. "Tamlin doesn't deserve a friend like you. And Ianthe? She will get what is coming for her, karma will find her and tear her apart. I will tear her apart. God, every time I see her, I want to strangle her," Lucien gave her a grateful smile and she saw the gratitude shining in his eyes. "Be careful, the walls have ears too," Is all he said though.

Lucien liked Eve. She was a good person and she understood him. She had even made it clear that he was 'a dick' when he hadn't stood up for Feyre before but he was 'lesser of the many evils in the society' and thus, she had given him a chance. After all, there were very few alliances she could make in this court. They had an unusual friendship borne out of loneliness and despair.

Summer solstice came and went and Eve had a great laugh when Feyre outdid Ianthe. The rumours that Eve had definitely not started about the High Priestess and Tamlin were spreading like wildfire. After all, Eve couldn't let Feyre do everything. There was also the smugness when she 'accidentally' hit Ianthe in the arm ... thrice.... with her throwing knives while practicing. It was a warning and a reminder of who was on her back now.

The day after, Eve had spent time with Lucien after the sentry had gotten the lashings. He told her what happened and her non-existent respect for Tamlin dropped even further. They had gone to the starlight pool for a breather. She despised Ianthe and Tamlin. Even if Feyre had been the one to give the bait, Tamlin had taken it in sound mind. Eve sympathized for the soldiers who she knew now despised Tamlin too and felt betrayed. Feyre's plan was working. Eve spent some time telling him about Mike till the sun went down and with a heavy sigh, the two made their way back to the manor.

The next time Eve went out was with the whole party. Feyre had told her the night before to come as she had a gut feeling something would happen. So, Eve did. She made a great show of acting like an impertinent child who was bored and wished for some company at dinner. It did help that her last reasoning (provide company to Feyre) pleased Tamlin. And so, she accompanied the enemies with a mask on. 

Happy reading :) 

XOXO,

the amazing author who had pizza after sooooo long