Prologue

**IMPORTANT*

Before you start reading I would like to point out that, yes, I already know I have a crap load of errors when I started writing about the technicalities of the Air Force and the fine tunings with Ray 'The Beast' Hodges. I will get around to deleting what's totally wrong and fixing can be fixed... in the mean time, give me some slack for the mistakes because I'm not perfect and I already know I should've done my research better :)

Enjoy

Prologue

[Ray’s POV]

“To the man who lives his job as his life and has been doing so for the last ten years, I salute you Ray!”

Tom Shaw, my best friend here at the air force base, raised his beer to toast me. Everyone else who was off duty raised their glasses and beers as they saluted my decade of service and I chuckled copying them and nodding my head in thanks before we all drank our alcohol. I thanked the many men and women who came up to me to congratulate me and smile gratefully when I was offered another beer.

“When the hell are you gonna find yourself a woman and give me god babies!?” Tom slurred. He had been drinking straight whiskey for the last two hours and only moved onto beer to help ‘sober up’ before he ended up dancing the hula like the last time he was off his face. I burst out in laughter and eyed him sceptically with one eyebrow raised.

“Who said I’d ever make you god father to any of my nonexistent kids?” I laughed slapping his back and watching him stumbled slightly under the force of my hand. I gulped another mouthful of dry beer and felt refreshed as the ice cold beverage slid down my throat. Even at midnight the humidity was enough to smother me and we were in air conditioning! I felt slightly bad for the newbie officers on duty but brushed it off... I’d been on duty for sixteen hours in the deadly heat and humidity during the day, this was nothing compared to that.

“As if you wouldn’t make me god daddy!!! I’d shoot any bastard who tried to date your daughter and teach your son all my very best moves!” Tom shouted with a grin on his face as his bloodshot eyes were stretched wide in absolute seriousness.

“We’ll see... I plan on serving in the air force for a long time bro, I don’t really see kids in my near future. I’d most likely die before I find myself a woman understanding enough to be with me” I finished off my beer and realised that Tom was already gone to try his luck with one of the nurses.

I chuckled and shook my head at his short attention span and continued to enjoy my party. I grabbed another beer and walked over to the window that overlooked the ocean. I sighed in happiness that I was living my dream of following in my granddad’s footsteps of being in the air force. I’d never actually met the man... but my mother always told me stories of how respected, determined, strong and dedicated he was.

She spoke of her father so mesmerizingly that I couldn’t help, from the age of five, to want to join the air force as well. I finished my senior year of high school and immediately joined the air force when I turned eighteen. In no time at all I was a respected ground defence officer and never took cr@p from anyone. I wanted to end up being ‘that guy’ who was spoken about like my granddad was spoken about by my mother.

I shook my head in disappointment when I saw one of the younger officers on duty nodding off to sleep and knew that tomorrow every single one of the young officers I was training would hear about it. I believed that ‘we were only as strong as our weakest link’ and if something was to happen to the whole base because of one person... well, the newbies would soon be chanting that phrase in their sleep by the time I was through with them.  I looked at the reflection in the window and saw Tom behind me with his lips locked on the nurse’s and I checked my watch.