Chapter 15

Chapter fifteen

The salt of the sea spray smelt a little stronger this morning. I inhaled deeply again as my dreams faded away to the back of my mind and felt the wind was even stronger. One of the holes in the wall must’ve gotten bigger, I thought in the back of my mind. I was too comfortable that I didn’t want to move from my bed and I noticed that despite the stronger breeze my bed felt warmer. A pried one eyelid open and realised the sky was beginning to lighten yet the sun hadn’t risen...

Whoa, wait...!

Both eyes shot open and I was instantly alert, all drowsiness having disappeared, and I suddenly realised I never went home last night. A light snore to my right made me snap my eyes to the Ray’s sleeping form and I bit my lip at the slight dribble mark from the corner of his mouth. Wow... so I literally slept with Ray last night, but didn’t ‘make love’. That was something I hadn’t expected to do when I left my house last night. Once my heart settled down and began its regular rhythm I snuggled back against Ray’s warm body and felt that his arm was lazily draped over my waist.

I let my mind wonder as I watched the sky lighten to lavender, tinged with ocean blue. I’d never really been held like this before in my life. It wasn’t sexual at all and yet I felt so close to Ray. Ray. God, what have I gotten myself into? Ray was planning to leave town to go back to the Air Force and yet here I am, his girlfriend, with no plans to leave because well, why should I? I spent years studying and working while trying to get my gym up and running and now I have it. I can’t leave it.

A small voice in the back of my mind nagged at me, Well it’s not as though Ray was asking you to move away or join the Air Force anyway. I half wondered why he even did bother to ask me to be his girlfriend. To sleep with me? It seemed a little cruel to do that if that was the case, I was freely offering him my body last night like a buffet meal to the homeless. Yet he didn’t go as far as pleasuring me, not even bothering to gain pleasure for himself.

Ray was confusing and mysterious. He seemed to have many different facets to his personality and so far I’d seen a few: his knight in shining armour side, sweet and romantic side, scary Air Force brute side, mommy’s boy side, handyman side... and who knew what other side I was missing. I shook myself out from my daydream and gazed down at the beast of the man hugging me to him. God, but he was a sight for sore eyes in the morning.

He looked younger when he slept, carefree even. I leaned forward and pressed my lips against his. He stirred immediately and cupped the back of my neck to keep me there while he sucked my lower lip into his mouth and bit it so softly my eyes nearly rolled to the back of my head in bliss. His moans were gruff from sleep and I found that sound even sexier! It sounded like pure raw satisfaction and it made the butterflies wake up inside my stomach.

He kissed me once, then twice, and then once more before pulling back and smiling at me as he stroked the side of my face with the back of his fingers. “That was by far the best wake up I’ve gotten my beautiful girlfriend”

I blushed and rolled my eyes. “Shut up” I retorted, but my smile made him know I was joking. I didn’t really know how to act, so I just tried to act as though waking up in his arms out under the brightening sky was nothing interesting.

It was pretty hard to act that way.

The battery powered fairy lights had long ago died out and the candles were slightly covered in sand already. It was actually really comforting to wake up in the middle of beach bushes and reeds under the open sky and comforted by soft sand, a blanket and a warm man by my side. I definitely could get used to this. Yeah, but for how long? Ray’s not going to be staying here forever.