Chapter 19

Chapter nineteen

Sweat trickled down the length of my spine and the edges of my face as I hammered down another piece of wooden board. I knew there was a lot of work that needed to be done to shape up the house but I realised there was a lot more that needed to be done. Seychelles had mentioned it was built sometime down the generation of her family and I half wondered what in the hell they were thinking building a house mainly of wood and barely any cement to protect it from decaying.

I could understand that they wouldn’t have thought this far down the line but the house was practically falling apart. I would have to talk to Seychelles about it, and ask her if she minded me doing even more work on it. A smile tugged my lips when I already knew what she should say. She’d argue with me that I didn’t need to do any work, that it wasn’t necessary for me to. I already knew she’d think of it as charity for her but the truth was that her safety had become a high priority for me.

All throughout the morning while I worked away I argued with myself what I was going to do: stay or leave.

A few hours later and I still haven’t taken a step toward either decision! It was like a throbbing open wound. Painful and obviously needed attention but yet I was stubborn enough to try to deal with it myself. Even though it was doing no good. I’d managed to seal smaller cracks and holes while having to tear boards down completely and nailing down new ones. My body was getting a work out and for that I was thankful for. Holding back and taking it slow with Seychelles had been hard... very hard... and if it meant that having this sort of physical labour would take my mind off the way her body responded so amazingly to mine, then I’d build her a whole new damn house.

My thoughts were halted by the sound of a car coming up the driveway and after a few seconds Seychelles’ car came into view. She hopped out and threw me her megawatt smile that had my heart stuttering for a few beats while she walked on over. “Wow, Ray! This looks fantastic! You really shouldn’t bother with all of this you know. Please let me pay you back for-“

I swooped down and kissed her efficiently stopping her speech. “You’re welcome” I whispered. “And I happen to like doing things for you Seychelles, you work so hard for everything you want and I just want to give you a little something back. Besides... I just want you safe at home”

She was biting her bottom lip and the sight of it was driving me crazy. “Thank you again, Ray. You are honest to God a dream come true” Her eyes grew big and her cheeks flushed as she stuttered and I couldn’t help but laugh.

“Well, that’s always nice to hear! Though it’s the first time I’ve ever heard that about myself” I winked, which only made her face deepen to a nice scarlet. “Go on inside and freshen up and then I’ll drive us to the hospital”

She nodded and walked inside leaving the front door open. “Have you had anything to drink while I was gone Ray?” she called from inside.

“No, I haven’t”

Her head popped out from the doorframe with her eyes wide again. “Why not? I left the house open for you so you could’ve gone inside any time. Well, I’ll get you a glass of water okay? Come on inside”

I was about to argue and say that I was fine. I wanted to see if there was anything that needed fixing that I could get done today but the stern look in her eyes, which looked similar to a puppy trying to look serious, made me stop and follow her inside the house. My eyes fell down to her shapely legs and pert behind and I suppressed a moan when she bent down to grab her bags from the ground. Round and ripe, perfect for biting. Her body was perfect and made me want to run my hands all over every single cell of it. Though, I was sure that no matter how she looked, and what shape she was I would want to do the same.