I want to be a Hunter

A year later, Kurapika is standing at the kitchen counter drinking his coffee. It is about four in the morning. The cottage is dark besides a small night light in the kitchen. He is thinking about how much Scarlet has grown within the past year. She has been spending more time alone in her room instead of talking to Kurapika. When he offers to spend time with her, she refuses and closes the door to her room to talk on the phone with Juliette.

Kurapika sets his coffee mug down and quietly walks in Scarlet's room. He watches her sleep. He thinks about how he has been working more lately and maybe that is why they have grown apart. He tries to come up with a way for them to spend more time together.

Kurapika walks out of her room and grabs his laptop to book a camping trip for the next weekend. He smiles as he finalizes the trip. He is excited to tell Scarlet about it.

A few hours later, Scarlet is eating breakfast at the kitchen table. Kurapika sits in front of her with a smile on his face.

"Hey, dad." says Scarlet.
"Good morning, my precious jewel." says Kurapika.
"You can stop calling me that now," says Scarlet.

Kurapika's feelings are hurt.

"Uh..uh...but you will always be my precious jewel." says Kurapika.
"I know." says Scarlet while taking a bite of her cranberry orange muffin.
"Anyway, I have a surprise for you. I planned out a nice camping trip for us next weekend!" exclaims Kurapika.
"Next weekend? Juliette and I are planning to attend the beach concert." says Scarlet.
"And who gave you permission for that?" asks Kurapika.
"Well, I was planning on asking you today." answers Scarlet.
"You know I do not approve of the lyrics to that music Juliette listens to." says Kurapika.
"Come on, dad! They are not that bad." says Scarlet.
"I think this trip will be fun. It will give me the opportunity to teach you some basic survival skills." says Kurapika.

Scarlet looks disappointed, however, she does like the idea of learning survival skills. She knows that will be beneficial to her in the future.

"Okay, dad. I'll go." says Scarlet.

Kurapika smiles.

The next weekend comes quickly and Kurapika takes Scarlet camping. He was able to teach her a lot of survival skills. However, it didn't go as Kurapika had planned. Scarlet didn't talk much to him and as soon as they got home, she went inside of her room and closed the door.

Kurapika calls Leorio.

"Hey, Kurapika!" greets Leorio.
"Hello, Leorio. I have a question for you. Have you noticed any behavioral changes in Juliette?" asks Kurapika.
"Ummm...no. Not really. Why?" asks Leorio.
"I have recently noticed that Scarlet isn't interested in spending time with me." answers Kurapika.
"It's her age. Don't worry about it. Just let her be. She'll come back around." says Leorio.
"Oh. I guess you're right." says Kurapika.
"Hey, since I have you on the phone, Juliette was asking if Scarlet could stay the night here on Friday. Is that alright with you?" asks Leorio.
"Will you be home?" asks Kurapika.
"I'll be on call, but Aimi will be home." answers Leorio.
"I guess that will be fine," says Kurapika.

Kurapika ends his call and begins to unpack.

Moments later, Killua runs into Kurapika's house. He kicks his shoes off, throws his toddler to Kurapika, and jumps on the couch. Kurapika holds the white-haired toddler with a confused look on his face.

"Killua?" asks Kurapika.
"I can't. I just can't, okay?" answers Killua while covering his eyes with his arm.
"You can't what?" asks Kurapika.
"I can't take it anymore. All this kid wants to do is scream in my face and throw things at me." answers Killua.
"What about Mina?" asks Kurapika.
"She threw us out. She can't take it anymore either." answers Killua.
"Oh. Well, I don't mind watching him." says Kurapika.