Leaving for the exam

New Year's Eve

The girls are in Scarlet's bedroom nervously packing the last of their supplies.

"Are you still sure about this?" asks Juliette. She is anxious about running away to take the Hunter's exam.
"Of course I'm sure." answers Scarlet. She is just as anxious.
"And are you sure we aren't going to get caught?" asks Juliette.
"I'm sure." answers Scarlet.
"Ugh...why can't we just leave now?" asks Juliette.
"I want to make sure I give my dad a New Year's kiss. Besides, he is going straight to work right after midnight. It's perfect. He won't feel my aura fading as I leave. He would definitely notice if we left now." explains Scarlet.
"Okay. Sounds good. Three more hours." says Juliette. Her hands are shaking.
"Try to calm down." says Scarlet. "Did you leave your dad his letter?"
"Of course. I left it in his briefcase. He'll see it tomorrow when he goes to work." answers Juliette.
"Good. I'll leave my dad's letter on the kitchen counter. He'll see it as soon as he gets home from hunting." says Scarlet. She is quiet for a few seconds while she thinks about leaving Kurapika. "Okay. Now we are only taking essentials with us. What do you have in that bag?"

Juliette unzips her large designer purse to show Scarlet the contents.

"I got a bunch of emergency medication from my dad and a first aid kit." answers Juliette.
"Good thinking!" exclaims Scarlet.

Kurapika knocks on the door. The girls jump and hide their bags.

"Why are you girls still in the bedroom? Come out and enjoy the party. Scarlet, I made your favorite spring rolls." says Kurapika.
"Sorry, dad. We will be right out." says Scarlet.

Kurapika leaves and the girls come out a few seconds later. They spend the next few hours with their fathers. Juliette falls asleep on Leorio's chest until almost midnight. Scarlet goes into Kurapika's bedroom. She looks at the pictures Kurapika has on his dresser of the Kurta Clan and Kohana. She takes a picture of her parents and puts it in her pocket. She notices a picture of Kurapika that was taken right after he passed the Hunter's exam with Gon and Leorio. She smiles.

Killua starts the countdown to midnight. They have Gon on video chat.
"Happy New Year!" everyone exclaims!

Scarlet gives Kurapika a kiss on his cheek and hugs him tightly. Juliette does the same to Leorio and Aimi.

"Okay, I'm off. Girls, please be safe tonight. I will return as soon as I capture my target." says Kurapika as he puts on his suit jacket and shoes.
"You be safe as well, daddy." says Scarlet.

Leorio walks towards Kurapika.

"Thank you for having us over, Kurapika! I better be off as well. I'm on call tomorrow." says Leorio.

Killua picks up his sleeping toddler.

"It was fun, Kurapika! See you later!" exclaims Killua as he leaves with Mina and his son.

The girls are alone in the cottage. As soon as they are sure everyone is gone, they run into Scarlet's bedroom to grab their bags.

"Okay! This is it!" shouts Scarlet.
"Let's do this!" exclaims Juliette.

They run out of the bedroom. Scarlet places her letter on the kitchen counter. They leave the cottage and Scarlet locks the door behind her. The two girls run as fast as they can through the forest. The ship that will take them off of Orida Island doesn't leave until seven a.m. so their plan is to camp out next to the port until then.

The girls run for two hours straight. They are out of breath when they arrive close to the port. They find a tree to rest under. It is dark and they can hear the ocean behind them.

"Okay, we have approximately four hours until our ship leaves. Let's try to get some rest until then." explains Scarlet, breathing heavily.
"Right." says Juliette. She is breathing heavily as well.

The girls board the ship. As soon as the ship leaves Orida Island, Scarlet starts to cry. Juliette looks at her, confused.

"What's the matter, Scarlet?" asks Juliette.
"My dad! I left my dad!" answers Scarlet while crying.

A very large intimidating man walks past the girls. He laughs at them.

"You know crybabies can't be Hunters." says the big man.

Scarlet gives him an angry look.

"Who are you calling a crybaby?" asks Scarlet as she reaches back for her bokken.

The big man continues to laugh at the girls. He walks away. Juliette stomps her feet.

"That's right! You get out of here, bastard!" Juliette yells at the big man while pointing at him.

The girls suddenly notice they are being watched by most of the passengers.

"Why do I get the feeling the exam has already started?" Scarlet asks Juliette.
"Are you serious?" asks Juliette.
"Yes. Don't let your guard down." answers Scarlet.

The girls continue to walk around the ship to check everything out. The Captain stops them and asks them why they want to become Hunters. Scarlet remains silent and Juliette closes her eyes and looks away.

"Well, are you girls going to answer the question?" asks The Captain.
"I'm not telling you anything! I don't know you and it's none of your business." answers Juliette.
"I'm afraid I agree with my friend." answers Scarlet.
"Okay. Well, I will let the Association know that you two are dropping out." says The Captain.
"What?" the girls ask in unison.

The Captain gives the girls the same speech that was given to Kurapika, Leorio, and Gon twenty-two years ago.

"I am a Kurta. I desire to become a Hunter simply because my father is one." answers Scarlet, proudly.
"A Kurta, eh?" asks The Captain.
"Yes, sir." answers Scarlet.

The Captain turns to Juliette.

"And you, miss?" he asks.
"That's easy. I just want the money. I can buy all of the designer handbags and couture dresses I want if I become a Hunter!" answers Juliette, excitedly.

"Well, you two were not afraid when that large man started teasing you and that shows me you have potential. That being said, I am allowing you both to proceed with the exam." says The Captain.

The girls jump up and down in excitement.

They make it off of the ship and proceed to find the exam site.

Back at the cottage, Kurapika has returned from hunting. He excitedly opens the door and takes off his shoes and suit jacket.

"Happy New Year, Scarlet!" exclaims Kurapika.

He notices the cottage is quiet. He walks around to look for Scarlet. He sees her letter sitting on the kitchen counter. He rips it open.

Daddy,

This letter is going to be difficult for me to write so I am going to keep it short. I first want to tell you I love you very much and I feel very remorseful for lying to you. I hope you will understand and forgive me.

You have known about my desire to become a Hunter for a long time now. I know you were hoping I would change my mind, but that simply won't happen. Afterall, I am a Kurta. I am your daughter. It is only natural for me to take the necessary actions to obtain my goal. That is why I left to take the Hunter's exam.

Please do not worry about me. I implore you. I am not alone. Juliette is with me and we will protect each other. The two of us will return home in a few weeks as Hunters. I promise.

Love,
Your Precious Jewel

Kurapika's eyes turn scarlet as he angrily crumples the letter in his hand. His heart rate increases as he thinks about the danger his daughter is about to face. He glances at the calendar. The exam starts in one week. There is still time for him to find her before the seventh.

Before Kurapika puts his jacket and shoes on to go hunt for his daughter, he grabs his phone to call Leorio. As he searches for his number, there is a knock on the door. Kurapika opens it. Leorio is angrily staring at Kurapika with Juliette's letter in his hand.