Chapter Eight.

Despite his belief that he'd lost her for good, Erik couldn't bring himself to go back down below. Not now, not when he'd come all this way. So he slid the mirror open and entered her dressing room before closing it behind him. While he'd love nothing more than to curl up on the chaise lounge and wait for his darling wife, he decided that he'd visit his triplets just to check on them.

With this in mind, he slipped out of her dressing room unseen and searched the halls for even a glimpse of one of the Girys. He spotted Meg and hurried over to her, wrapping his arm around her shoulders and clamping his hand over her mouth to prevent her from screaming.

"Are the children with your mother?" He demanded in a low rasp. Meg nodded rapidly and upon realizing who he was, swung one of her powerful legs backwards. He attempted to jump out if the way but the heel of her foot still caught him directly in the crotch. He groaned, hand slipping away from her mouth as he tried to ignore the urge to cup his aching testicles.

"Yes and they're just fine. They aren't who you should be worrying about right now, monsieur phantom. You should be worrying about your wife and how much sucking up your going to have to do to get her to forgive you." Meg ranted, giving him an almost deadly look. If he were anyone else he'd actually be intimidated.

Perhaps, even as he was, he'd be intimidated if it weren't for the distracting throbbing that was lingering in his lower half. It would be quite awhile before that died down.

"...mm. It's too late anyways.. I've lost her, Meg." Erik groaned softly, doubling over in an attempt to take pressure off of the area. The blonde before him barely even looked apologetic. In fact, she looked almost amused and perhaps even proud of herself. It was like the vindictive wench thought he deserved it or something.

"No you haven't. But Christine is a mess. You've made a mess out of her. She's let you do so. If you can't understand how much you mean to her after this, I must wonder if you're the genius my mother seems to think you are. Anyway, I digress. My point is that you better fix this before you do lose her for good." Meg rambled . He had to wonder if all ballerinas had such a vast air supply. There was no other way she could say that much without pausing for so few breaths otherwise.

Perhaps years of gossiping was more helpful than he truly realized. Maybe he should've actually encouraged this in Christine.

"I shall try. There is no guarantee that I can, little Giry. I am going to take my leave now.. you've got more power than I realized." Erik mused softly, walking away before she could even recognize that he was complimenting her. It wasn't something that he wanted her to get used to, after all.

He hobbled back to Christine's dressing room and kicked his legs up onto her vanity with more than a little bit of a wince. He might've even grunted a bit- something he'd never admit in front of motormouth because he knew she'd never let him live it down and she'd most probably constantly remind Christine.

Yet at the same time, he couldn't help but feel glad that his wife had a friend like her. At least he knew that someone else had his wife's back as well. While Madame Giry was probably better at subtle support, it was nice to know that her friend would actually go to bat for her. These were also things that he'd keep to himself.

Christine returned to the opera house later in the evening, feeling completely drained

Christine returned to the opera house later in the evening, feeling completely drained. Emotionally and physically. While dinner had been a good distraction, trying to act as if she hadn't been longing for Erik the entire time had taken a lot out of her.

She'd barely managed to convince Raoul that she didn't need him to lead her back to her dressing room. It wasn't as if something could happen in the corridors, after all. Not without her husband making them pay for trying to harm her. At least, that was how things used to be. She wasn't entirely sure that he'd even come to her aid with the way things had been between them recently. She liked to think he would, but she couldn't afford to hope too much. She feared that any more crushed hopes or shattered dreams would be the end of her. Even with her precious babies holding on.

She dodged Meg's attempts to chat, not in the mood to entertain the other woman's curiosity for once. When she finally made it to her dressing room, she hesitated outside of it. Something felt different but she couldn't quite put her finger on what that was in it's entirety. She shook it off and opted to blame it on nothing more than her exhaustion getting the better of her.

She pulled the door open and nearly fainted at the sight of a familiar form, sitting at her vanity as if nothing happened. She could feel her knees weakening and her breathing became shallow. But she refused to pass out and give him the opportunity to leave her again. She fanned her hand in front of her face for a moment and forced herself to breathe deeply, her other hand using the door knob to hold herself up until she felt the strength returning to her knees.

She could feel the weight of those burning, amber eyes on her but she continued to ignore him until she felt stable enough to look at him. When she finally did, she noticed how concerned he looked. The smallest of smiles formed on her lips as utter joy and complete rage washed over her in equal manners. She entered the room and pulled the door shut behind her, ensuring that she locked it.

"Erik..." She breathed, wanting to ensure that he was actually here. That this wasn't some sort of intricate hallucination.

"Christine..." Erik murmured her name, the sound of it almost making her forget how angry she was. He hesitantly spread his arms and she'd never seen something that looked more inviting.

She lunged across the small space, giving him a slap across the face. His intended embrace became a way to restrain her as she pounded her small fists against his chest.

"How dare you treat me like this?! What did I do to deserve this sort of treatment from you? What did I do that was so horrid, so revolting that you couldn't bare to touch me any more, let alone love me?! Answer me, goddamn it! Please!" Christine demanded, continuing to hit him weakly. The anger soon became sadness and she collapsed against him, clutching his shirt and refusing to let him get away.

"Christine..." Erik breathed once more, pausing as if he wasn't sure what to say. He rubbed her back for a few minutes and she reluctantly relaxed a little, chest heaving against him with her shuddering gasps.

"Please....please just tell me so I can fix it." Christine implored weakly, lifting her head so that she could look up at him.

He sighed and pulled away. Before she could panic, he was holding a hand out to her as he opened the mirror. Against her better judgement, she took his hand, allowing him to lead her down to what had once been her home.

Maybe this was a better conversation for true privacy.