26. the order of the phoenix

December 18th 1994

Up ahead was Gringotts. Ancient as it sat, yet still gleaming with the promise of fortune and gold. The doors were wide open- little security, only the intimidating Goblins that guarded each safe as though it were their own.

Since she was back on the record, and no longer dead to the general wizarding society, Elizabeth had a vast fortune waiting for her deep down in a cell somewhere below her.

The Potter Vault was given to Harry after James and Elizabeth 'died'. But now that it was known Elizabeth was back, she succeeded Harry and the vault belonged to her. It was filled with millions of Galleons, due to the success of her fathers hair-potion business. Fleamont had well built his empire before James and Elizabeth had been born. He sold it on to a rich cosmetics company when they were born so that he could become a father. He was a well-good one at that.

Elizabeth climbed the steps up to Gringotts and entered the doors. It was exactly how she remembered it. The ceiling was tall and cathedral-like, only designed by the same breeds and ethnicities of Goblins that worked within its confinement. A tall row on either side of Elizabeth seated Goblins who were counting, stacking, recording and packing precious gold, silver and bronze coins.

They were all scary-looking. Eyebrows that scraped well above their eyes and iris' so big they could stare directly into her soul and determine whether she was going to hell or heaven just by one look. They were so little, yet so intimidating, like a snake- so tiny, yet full of venom. Though, with Goblins, their venom was their intelligence and observation.

Elizabeth stepped up to the banker at the very end of the lobby. It was a particularly scary Goblin, who had terrifyingly long fingernails, a bald head, a long nose and pointed ears. His eyes looked up from the gold that he was stacking and fell onto Elizabeth with a sort of distaste. God, Elizabeth hated Gobins.

"Erm. Hello", she said. The Goblin didn't respond. He stared at her, his wide eyes seeping with his venom. "I need to get into my vault."

"Name?", the Goblin asked loudly.

She swallowed. "Elizabeth Potter."

"Potter?", the Goblin echoed.

Elizabeth nodded. "Yes. I know that I'm supposed to be dead and the vault is in Harry's name, but I'm not dead and I'm here and I need to withdraw some money", Elizabeth squeaked. The Goblin glared at her. She looked down at her feet.

"We know you're not dead, Potter. We've heard countless conversations in our bank of parents of the children who attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, complain of your alias", he said, somehow raising his eyebrow even higher.

"Great, so you know I'm alive. I need to make a-", Elizabeth began, but the Goblin tutted, suddenly stopping her.

"Not so fast, Potter. Before I take you to the vault, I need to do some verification and fix a few kinks in the name of your vault", the Goblin said. He suddenly turned to the floor beside him, behind the counter. "Fetch the books, Kilarow", he ordered.

"Right away, Griphook", a Goblin said from behind the counter. The Goblin, Griphook, sat waiting, until something below him was handed to him.

Griphook heaved the item onto the bench in front of him, letting it hit the table with a boom. A cloud of dust fell from the top of the counter. Griphook flipped it open- it being a thick, old book with gold trimmed around each page. Elizabeth caught a glimpse of the front cover. It was white leather of some sort, and had 'Potter' printed in the same gold that trimmed the pages.

Griphook flipped gently through the ancient pages until he finally stopped and ran his finger down the page.

"Elizabeth Potter", he said. "You currently co-own this vault with your nephew, Harry Potter. Is that correct?", he asked.