49. fire, burning, toil

Elizabeth wrote back to Harry.

She didn't know how much of it he'd see, considering the Ministry was blocking any words that suggested the arise of Voldemort and that the wizarding world was in imminent danger. She told him to stay strong, that the end of the year would be there soon and they could go on a holiday for the summer holidays; where ever he would like to go. 'Snape loved your mother, greatly. But James, as you know, did many cruel things to him, Sirius, too. When you crinkle a flower in your hand, you're never going to be able to bring it back to life. James ruined his relationship with Snape for good doing what he did. You look exactly like him, Harry. Its no excuse, but its painful.'

She sent the letter, hoping that not mentioning anything about Voldemort would mean the letter wouldn't be inked over.

Over the next few weeks, Elizabeth trained every few hours a day while receiving bi-weekly letters from Harry, and sending them back in return. Things weren't getting better at Hogwarts. More educational decrees and rules binding the students so tightly that doing anything could mean getting expelled. Umbridge was climbing the steps to her throne.

Elizabeth and Sirius started shifts patrolling Hogwarts, a week after the suggestion during the Order meeting. He and Remus had devised a map with guides around where the grounds began and places to hide around it, while still being able to see the castle. She would sit with him on a picnic blanket, reading books or soaking in the warming sun. Nothing happened. No danger, no death eaters, no Voldemort. The castle was quiet. Sometimes, when the bell rang, Elizabeth could see the students drove out of the school for their free period and graze the opposite edge of the lake, unable to see Elizabeth and Sirius. Some would sit and study, books open and quills quivering in the air. Others walked around, laughed, talked. It sent Elizabeth back to a different decade.

They would return home, go out for dinner or watch muggle television, relax in the comfort of each other. His arms, his hands, his skin. They had sex regularly. On the couch, on the bed, in the shower. Pent up from the stress of life as they knew it. Releasing the anger and confusing into each other. Warmly.

It was on night, five weeks after the first patrols started, that they heard a pop outside the back veranda. Elizabeth and Sirius, sitting on the couch, looked at each other and quickly grabbed their wands, aiming them at the back door.

Silently, they creeped towards it.

Side by side.

Wands ready.

There was a knock from behind the darkness.

Elizabeth looked at Sirius.

He furrowed his eyebrows, confused, and put his wand in his back pocket. Revoking the serious and skilled position he had been standing in, he casually walked to the door, while Elizabeth kept her wand raised, and opened it.

"Fred? George?", he said.

Elizabeth put her wand back in her pocket.

"Good night, to you both", Fred said, a smile on his face as he walked inside the house without being invited in. George followed as Sirius shut the door and locked it, pulling the curtain over the glass for good measure.

"What are you two doing?", Elizabeth exclaimed, confusedly. "Aren't you supposed to be in Hogwarts".

"Yes", Fred said.

"Technically we are", George added.

"Well what are you doing here?", Sirius asked, "At this hour?"

"Your mother and father are going to have a fit when they find out you aren't at school", Elizabeth added.