Noah

Noah and I were best friends when we were eight. We did absolutely everything together, like watch the Harry Potter movies non stop, read them at torchlight at about ten in the night and always started surprise dance parties. It was the life, just Noah and me. Until one day, I had to move to California because my mum had to choreograph for a major musical that would go on world tour, so I packed my bags that year and left. That day, Noah said he wouldn't forget me.

That's the opposite of what he did.

After that Noah and I lost touch, and over the years the more I hoped the faster it disappeared. I continued on dancing and won a scholarship to Juilliard, which I went to for a few years before I graduated, but I kept Juilliard a secret. And when I heard of The Next Step, I tracked him down with help of my aunt, Kate, finding out he was a part of A-Troupe. So I packed my bags, flew to Toronto where I started living with Aunt Kate and got a job at Hidalgo's to get on my own feet. So here I am, serving shakes and drinks to dancers and other randos who come by now and then.

"You're new, aren't you?" A black-haired boy with tan skin was grinning, standing with a shorter girl with short brown/blonde hair, both wearing tank tops.

"I am, thanks for asking. What's your order?" I grinned back, taking out my order pad.

"A strawberry and banana smoothie for the lady and a vanilla milkshake for me." The boy replied, me writing it down.

"James, you should ask her to sit with us." The girl whispered through gritted teeth. I heard it and smiled, shaking my head.

"I'd rather not. I'm covering this shift for someone else and I can't leave my post or she'll kill me. Some other time though." Brown-hair strolled behind the counter and so did James, who jumped over the empty area so he couldn't knock anything over.

"Well, if you won't hang out with us, we'll help you." She persisted simply, causing me to giggle.

"Alright then. I'm Hayley, what your names?" I questioned, getting the vanilla ice cream out of the freezer and the milk out of the fridge.

"I'm Riley."

"James." James yelled over the whir of the blender, holding it securely.

"What are you doing in this neck of the city?" I shouted too, still unable to hear over the blender.

"We're part of The Next Step. A-Troupe, we're heading to Internationals this year and we've got a dance battle against Elite Dance Academy. Ever heard of them?" Riley asked once the blender had stopped mixing.

"I know about their reputation. Good but nasty when it comes to competition."

Truth is, I'd competed against Elite before. They'd attempted to sabotage my dance by destroying my dress but I had a copy of it just in case so I won by a landslide. You should've seen the look on their faces!

"Yeah, they tried to stop us is Regionals, Nationals and now they're merging with us so they can go to Internationals. If we have more than seven dancers we keep The Next Step, if Elite gets more then we become Elite. That's something that we don't want to do." James tutted. Checking my watch, I beamed, pouring the mixtures into two cups, fitting a lid and straw onto it.

"My shift's almost over, I'll head on over after it finishes. Count these on the house. It's the least I can do for your friendship." I offered, handing the drinks to them. They sat down on a table, and at three o'clock, the next person came and I sat down with James and Riley, who were later joined by a blond-haired boy who looked pretty lost in his own world until he noticed James.

"Eldon, buddy!" James called, waving him over. Eagerly coming over, Eldon sat down, immediately turning to me and back to James.

"Who's she?" He asked, pointing to me.

"This is Hayley. She works here but her shift's over, so we're having a drink." Riley explained.

"Ah! Right, well, I'm Eldon." Extending his hand, I grasped it and shook it.

"I guessed." I joked, releasing his hand and sipping my drink.

"You know, we're short of one dancer to compete against Elite." Riley sighed, swirling her straw around her drink.

"Without one more we won't have an equal amount, B-Troupe isn't ready, it's a mess. I have to go practice, I'm not losing to Elite." Eldon got up, leaving. I did too after saying goodbye, changing into my chosen clothes. They're fit to dance in, and they're stylish, so it's a win-win. Going by, I noticed Eldon doing a solo freestyle, but his straight leg turns were a little wobbly. Creeping in, I tied up my hair.

"You're not holding your turns cleanly. You're wobbling." I pointed out, the blond suddenly stopping, frowning.

"What do you know about turns?" He scoffed, hands on his hips.

"A lot, actually. I also know that you have the capacity to tumble higher but you don't try." I retorted, putting my hands on my hips.

"How about you show me your turns?" He challenged, so I put down my bag and did ten fouettés, and when I stopped I could tell he was amazed, mouth gaping slightly and arms dangling by his sides.

"How about a grand jete?" He challenged, so I did what he asked, putting my hands on my hips and smirking.

"How can you do that? You haven't even danced before! Now that I come to think of it, you probably have." He gasped, the truth dawning on him.

"I've danced before. I have to actually meet my aunt, so I'll see you around, Eldon." Hurrying away, I didn't notice a brown-haired boy about my age pass me.

Way to go, Hayley, you're meant to be a teenage employee of a shake shop and you managed to blow your cover.