We Built Our Empire

During the dance West and I were the puppeteers, and as I managed the time when the puppets would wake up, at the same time, West would lead them, and throughout the dance we'd have to learn how to work together to build our empire. While West somersaulted onto the floor, I did a 540 layout and landed in Noah's arms, there to make sure I don't fall and injure myself. I performed an en-pointe set of fouettés, before doing an illusion and a front walkover that transformed into a set of eight back handsprings across the stage, doing another layout, landing on one foot after another. The crowd went wild, screaming and clapping at our routine. It was one of my most explosive and one of my signature moves, and it worked every time. But when I looked over to Noah, he was focusing mostly on the dance but it looked like my cover was blown. The only one who could do that trick was me. At the end of the dance, everyone was meant to be hanging from the structure, but we decided that I'd have the last bit to showcase to add that wow factor. I did a couple of en pointe walking pirouettes to the front, before going on my toes again and doing my 270 just as the music ended, inviting raucous applause. When the curtain went down, we released our positions, and I ran off stage and into Luke's arms. 

"You were phenomenal." He praised, hugging me tightly. "I'll get you a drink, one second." Pecking me on the lips, Luke ran off with a wide grin. 

"There's only one person who can do that trick." A voice behind me said, and I knew who it was. 

"Listen, Noah-" But he cut me off, running a hand through his hair. 

"I should've known. Why didn't you tell me?" 

"I left unexpectedly. I assumed you'd be angry at me." He laughed contemptuously. 

"Angry?! I would've been overjoyed that you'd come back! Instead, you just went ahead and didn't tell me who you were and all that chemistry we had was for... nothing!" 

"I don't have to tell you everything, Noah. Some things can just be kept as a secret." 

"What's going on?" Luke had arrived, holding a lemonade glass. 

"You were my best friend, Hayley. I loved you! We never kept anything from each other! Since when does the bro code get trumped by your silly needs?!" Noah argued, furious. 

"Lee, what's he talking about?" Luke asked, confused. 

"Noah... he was my best friend. Seven years ago." 

"And he loved you?" His voice was breaking, which broke my heart. "Was our relationship just for him? To make him jealous?" 

"What?! No, Luke, that isn't what this was about-" 

"Then why is he coming after you?! Saying he loved you?! Our relationship was just to get him to like you again so you can break my heart and go off with him! You used me!" I tried moving closer to him, but Luke stepped away. 

"I would never do that to you, Luke. I really like you." 

"I can't trust you, Hayley. We're done." 

"No, please, Luke..." 

"What the hell's happening here?" Eldon arrived with West, flicking their eyes between Luke and Noah. 

"Guys, it's alright." I tried to console them, but they quickly realised what was happening. 

"Listen. Hayley is our bro. Sister from another mother, and I don't care if it has a different ring to it." West glared, "And now that you hurt her, you hurt us." 

"Back off." Eldon snarled before he took my shoulder, putting an arm round it and leading me away. Thalia and James joined the crowd, seeing my tear-stained face. 

"Oh my gosh, Hayley, what happened?" Thalia gasped, rubbing circles on my back. 

"Noah and Luke. They were arguing with Hayley, and Luke broke up with her over something petty." West explained angrily. 

"Geez. That's rough." James murmured. 

"We told him that if he hurts our bro, he hurts all of us." Eldon huffed. James excused himself, running to Noah and pushing him lightly on the shoulder. 

"What the hell, man? Hayley did nothing to you!" He apprehended furiously. 

"She deserved what she got for keeping this from me." Noah shot back. 

"She had every right to keep that from you. You don't have the right to pull the rug out from under her feet. Do you realise what she has now? Nothing. Because you painted her in a bad light and got her boyfriend to break up with her. Not cool, Noah." Turning around, James left Noah to regret what he'd done. He shouldn't have meddled with me and Luke in the first place. Running back to me, James nodded. 

"I don't think he won't be regretting his actions any longer." 

My empire just fell. Brick by brick.