Wake Me Up When It's All Over

“There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year’s course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word ‘happy’ would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.” – Carl Jung.

The only sound that could be heard in the silent night time was footsteps hitting the pavement coupled with the drunken giggling of two people stumbling down the sidewalk. The stiletto highs worn by the brunette female echoed on the concrete with every off-balanced step and the man laughed loudly as he clumsily helped her stay stable, one arm wrapped possessively around her waist.

Techno dance music could be heard playing faintly in the distance as they came to a stop out the front of a townhouse apartment and the brunette woman smiled seductively as she climbed onto the bottom step unsteadily. “Are you going to come inside?”

“Hell, yeah!”  the dark haired man drunkenly slurred with an overjoyed expression breaking out across his face and he staggered to the bottom of the stoop as his green eyes lit up with lust, his hands roughly grabbing her hips to bring her closer to his body.

Her giggle rippled through the air as he quickly pressed their bodies together so that she could feel each and every inch of him, her fingering into his shoulders to stop herself from tumbling over. Their warm breaths mixed together as they inched closer together, near enough that she could practically taste the stale beer on his tongue but just as their lips were about to touch he was jerked backwards. The man grunted in pain as he landed on his back on the hard concrete ground and a startled gasp left the woman’s painted red lips, her blue eyes going wide in surprise.

A man wearing a pristine suit stood over the man threateningly, his oak brown eyes narrowed at the human on the ground and he reached down to grip the other man’s shirt as he pulled him roughly up to his feet. His pupils dilated as he caught the other man’s unfocused gaze, holding it as though his next words would carry the weight of the world and pushed his thoughts onto the human as he spoke lowly in a persuasive tone, “Go home.”

The human’s eyes glazed over as he silently turned on his heel and began walking away from the stoop robotically as the woman stared after him blankly with a small sense of relief but mostly with intense aggravation.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” the woman asked snappily in annoyance  as she placed her hands on her hips, her head tilted to the side to look at the man so that her brunette hair fell over one of her shoulders and her lips pursed in irritation as her eyes flashed fiercely. 

“Taking out the trash. I think the better question is, what are you doing, Imogen?” the man asked her pointedly as he calmly straightened his jacket sleeves, his oak brown eyes betraying the deep emotion he felt buried beyond the gentleman façade.

 “I was enjoying myself, Elijah, but it seems you’ve undertaken the  duty of ruining other’s people fun.” Imogen quipped drily as she shot him a glare over her shoulder, pivoting on her heel as she started climbing the stairs and uneasily gripped the cold metal railing for help so that she didn’t stumble.

Elijah’s gaze subtly drifted down the length of her body when she wasn’t looking, getting caught on the hem of her short dress that just reached the top of her thigh and he closed his eyes for a moment as he silently prayed for the strength to focus on helping her through the emotional upheaval she was experiencing.