Tangled Up In Blue

Sophie Deveraux sat down on the armchair across from the beautiful Rebekah and the narcissistic Niklaus with a blank expression on her pretty face as she folded her hands in her lap. She listened intently as she listened to their plan to find their missing brother and struggled to keep the disinterested look on her face as her anger grew with every word.

"Are you out of your mind? No way." Sophie declared firmly as she glared at the two Originals with a disbelieving frown and Rebekah sighed heavily as she leaned forward in her seat on the couch across from Sophie.

"It's very simple. We need you to perform a teeny, tiny locator spell to help us find our brother." Rebekah explained to her in a slightly condescending tone as she tried her hardest to keep her anger in check because they needed the witch's help to find Elijah.

"Witches who practice magic in this town get caught, and they get killed." The young witch reminded them in a hard voice as she moved her gaze in between the two siblings and narrowed her dark brown eyes at them almost warningly.

"Yes, about that. It seems you left out a crucial detail when we made our deal-Marcel's secret weapon, the way he knows when a witch is using magic." Klaus said to her pointedly as he pursed his lips at her and leaned his elbows on his knees as he stared straight at her as though daring her to dispute him.

"Girl about yay high, cute as a button, anger issues." Rebekah added mockingly as she held her hand in the air near her shoulder to demonstrate and Sophie felt her insides freeze with a mix with emotions as her eyes widened.

"Davina? Where have you seen her?" Sophie asked in a demand as she clenched her hands into fist and ignored the mild guilt she felt at the thoughts she was having but focused on the hope that Rebekah had unknowingly given her.

"I don't know. The little brat erased my memory right after she threw me out a window with her bloody mind." Rebekah hissed menacingly as she scowled at the memory of being bested by a 16 year old and shook her long blonde hair over her left shoulder.

Sophie felt the brief flash of hope diminish at the Originals words but tried not to show the disappointment on her face as she settled back in her seat.

"Let me cut to the chase. Davina has Elijah. You witches, I assume, want to get Davina away from Marcel. We don't know where she is. Ergo, we need magic." Klaus told the witch in a calm voice as he leaned back on the couch he was sitting on and placed his behind his head leisurely as Sophie glared at him.

"Davina would sense it." Sophie argued with a shake of her head as she crossed her ankles and dug nails into the palms of her hands to stop her from saying anything that would complicate the situation. Her parents, her sister and the elders in the coven had always berated her when she was younger for speaking without thinking but she and Imogen had ignored them as they followed no rules but their own. Sophie swallowed heavily at the thought of her lost best friend but didn't allow her thoughts to wander too far into the past.

"Unless, of course, another witch-say, a traitor to the cause, Katie for example-was to perform much more powerful magic at the same time. That would create a smokescreen, concealing your very small spell from Davina." Rebekah said with a small bloodthirsty smirk as she tilted her head to the side and tapped her boot impatiently as she waited for the inevitable to come out of the witch's mouth.

"Katie doesn't deserve to die."

"Sophie Deveraux." Klaus suddenly exclaimed loudly as he slammed his hand down on the coffee room in between them and Sophie jumped slightly as he stood up from the couch. "You're in no position to be so principled. You can't win a war without a few strategic losses, no matter how regrettable they may be. How many times have the vampires been one step ahead, known something they shouldn't? Your sister, executed in the public square for practicing magic, who knew she'd be caught? Did she even attempt to flee?"