On This Night, And In This Light

"I threw myself into that fire, threw myself into it, into him, and let myself burn."

― Sarah J. Maas

Home; it was a difficult word to describe because it meant something different to every individual. To many people it was simply the place where they slept at night, where they lived out their mundane life with a structured routine and no thought to what exactly the word meant on a deeper level. To some it was the place where they felt safe and secure, a place that would always be the epicentre of their life and no matter where they went, it would always be considered home in their hearts.

Imogen Claire had never felt safe in her childhood home; it was merely a roof over her head and a bed to sleep in, and so she never felt an emotional connection. In fact it was almost a relief when she sold it and watched with a smile as the new owners knocked it down to rubble with a wrecking ball. To her home was more of feeling; it was being comfortable enough around someone to be herself without worrying about being judged, it was the safety she felt in the presence of certain people, it was the warmth that spread through her chest when someone she cared about smiled in her direction. But something about the bedroom so had chosen at the Abattoir made her feel safe, like nothing could harm her when she was inside the dwelling. She knew that it was an unrealistic thought but maybe it was the comforting presence of two Original vampires just down the hall that made her optimistic. Or maybe it was the Original vampires themselves that made her feel at home in their family home.

Jazz music played on the street below as Imogen stood on the balcony overlooking the party taking place, the gentle breeze causing the loose strands of her brunette hair to caress her face as she leaned her folded arms on the metal railing. She hadn't bothered to change after retiring to her bedroom, more interested in scouring through some of the grimoires that the Mikaelson's had in their possession. The black cardigan she wore kept slipping down her shoulders as she swayed along with the music, a small smile on her lips as she regarded all of the people dancing in the street.

It wasn't just a party that was taking place; it was a memory that each individual was creating, it was a moment of pure bliss that they would look back on and smile about in the future. It was a celebration of Kieran's life, but it was more than that, it was a reminder that you needed to live each days as though it could be your last.

The sound of someone knocking on the bedroom door caused her to look over her shoulder with a frown, not bothering to move from the balcony because she knew that she had left the door wide open. A smile spread across her lips when she saw Elijah appear in the open doorway and she tilted her head slightly, silently granting him entry to her bedroom. She turned her attention back to the party below as he made his way out onto the balcony, coming to a stop in the doorway between inside and outside.

"I think Kieran would've appreciated this. The entire community gathered together, all of the Factions at peace for the day." she mused out loud as she watched a teenage girl with dyed pink hair spinning in circles on the street below and she straightened up with a sigh before revealing in a soft whisper, "I want that when I die."

Elijah remained silent immediately following her confession as he swallowed roughly and he walked closer to her to where she was standing as his eyes locked on her profile. The streetlights of the Quarter cast a luminescent glow and for a moment he was stunned speechless at her ethereal beauty, positive in his belief that he would never witness a more spectacular sight no matter how long he lived. He cleared his throat unsurely as he ducked his head before turning his attention to the street below, watching the people dancing and laughing without a care in the world.

"You almost did." he reminded her in a broken whisper as he watched one particular couple; two young men with their arms wrapped around each other, wide smiles on their faces and for a moment he wished upon a star that life could really be that simple. Rebekah had always been the romantic one in the family, hoping and wishing for something different, struggling to accept the reality that was thrown at them a millennia ago. There were a few moments scattered throughout history where the prospect of being human didn't seem so horrible, but since he found out Niklaus was going to be a father, witnessing the joy in his eyes when he listened to his child's heartbeat...since meeting Imogen, the absent of his humanity was becoming abundantly clear to him.