Sometimes Reality Is Better Than Dreams

"When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching – they are your family." ― Jim Butcher

'I've got sunshine on a cloudy day; When it's cold outside I've got the month of May; I guess you'd say; What can make me feel this way?; My girl (my girl, my girl); Talkin' 'bout my girl (my girl)', the music played from the cell phone that was sitting on the bedside table, loud enough to wake the inhabitant of the bedroom.

Imogen groaned out loud in protest as the sound woke her from a dreamless sleep and she scrunched her face up slightly without opening her eyes as she blindly fumbled for her phone with one hand. Her fingers curled around the device as she rolled over onto her back with an incoherent grumble, recognising the song that she had programed to play whenever Davina called and she squinted through the narrow eyes as she hit the answer button on the screen.

"Hello?" she asked in croaky voice as she held the phone up to her ear, using her free hand to rub her eyes and she grimaced at the sound of her own voice before clearing her throat in the hope of regaining some normality.

"Where are you? You were meant to meet me and Josh for breakfast fifteen minutes ago. Did Klaus do something? Do you need help? Oh, God, you probably can't answer because he can hear you. Okay, if you need help...cough." Davina rambled in a rush without taking a breath and Imogen frowned in confusion as she tried to keep up with the conversation in her tired state of mind. She pushed herself up on her elbows as she looked around, trying to clear the fogginess from her head and she noted with a hint of disappointment that Elijah was nowhere in sight nor was there any sign that he had been. A part of her was positive that the night before had been a dream but there was a pleasant ache between her legs that proved her wrong and she flopped back down on the pillow with a giddy grin stretching across her lips as the memories of the night came to the forefront of her mind.

"What? No. I overslept. Calm down. No more coffee for you."

"Oh."

"You sound almost disappointed, Pix. Listen, are you still at the café?" Imogen asked her sister in a patient tone as she sat up in bed, looking down at the men's button-up shirt she was wearing and fidgeting with one of the buttons absently. She bit her lower lip as she glanced around the empty room, no evidence of the night before except for the shirt that Elijah had been wearing that now dawned her otherwise naked body.

"Yeah, we were waiting for you but when you didn't show we panicked." Davina explained in an almost accusing tone of voice but Imogen could practically hear the smile in her voice now that she knew her was save.

"She panicked! I was the very definition of 'cool'!" Josh interjected faintly from the other side of the phone call, obviously overhearing the conversation between the sisters and Imogen chuckled in amusement as she swung her legs over the side of the bed.

"I'll be there in ten minutes. Order for me?" Imogen asked hopefully as she stood up from the bed with a smile playing on her lips, enjoying the playful banter between her sister and man she thought of as a brother.

"Fine, but hurry up!" Davina ordered in a mock-serious tone before laughing at something Josh had said and Imogen couldn't help grinning at the sound that was so infrequent since she had come back to life as she hung up the phone. She placed the device down on the bedside table before she stretched her arms over her over with a yawn, the hem of the oversize shirt rising in the process. She hummed to herself in satisfaction when her muscles ached slightly and she dropped her arms as she strolled over to the antique dresser to the side of the room.

It crossed her mind to be grateful that she had had the forethought to bring a selection of clothing to the Abattoir when she had taken over the bedroom and she pulled out a pair of red lace panties from one of the drawers with a faint smile imprinted on her lips. She tried to stop smiling, afraid that she would appear crazy if anyone saw the massive grin she wore but the corners of her lips kept turning up despite herself. She slipped on the panties before making her way over to the armoire where she kept her clothes and she began searching for an outfit to wear that matched her joyful mood.