An Unblinking Death

In her relatively short life, Imogen Claire had heard many things that sent a chill down her spine; bones snapping, witches chanting, desperate pleas, blood curdling screams to name a few, but walking into St Anne's Church to the sound of Father Kieran's hysterical cries was one of the worse. Without thinking, she hastened her footsteps up the staircase to the attic sanctuary she had magically locked a few nights previously in order to keep him from reigning terror on innocent victims of the Quarter.

The sight she stumbled in on caused her to freeze in her tracks at the threshold; Father Kieran was pushed up against on the furthest wall, exclaiming incoherently as Cami held a glass of water to his lips in an attempt to get him to drink it while Josh restrained him with his vampire strength.

"God, no! Aah! Be gone, demon." Kieran hissed angrily as he attempted to swat Cami away from him, snarling in an almost animalistic manner but she refused to give up her efforts.

"Come now, just one sip." she pleaded helplessly with a desperate tinge in her voice and he growled lowly as he slapped the cup straight out of her hand, causing water to fly all over the floor.

"No. Uh! I know who you are, you hateful bitch." he spat heatedly at the blonde as she took a step back out of fright and Kieran's expression softened considerably when his gaze landed on Josh as he lowered his voice to an apologetic murmur, "Oh, Sean, I tried to help you. I tried to save you, but this city... this city is full of monsters."

"Uh, yeah. Trust me, I know." Josh responded unsurely with an unnerved look on his face as he loosened his hold on the older man's shoulders and he glanced at Cami as he lowered his voice to a hushed whisper, "Remind me to never piss off a witch."

"Oh, I'm sure I'll remind you when you get out of line." Imogen announced her presence to the others as she left her post near the entrance to the attic, smirking slightly when both Josh and Cami turned to look at her in surprise. The heel of her shoes sounded louder than necessary on the hardwood floor as she made her way towards them, her eyes trained on the man writhing in agony across the room.

"Imogen! Did you find something?" Cami asked hopefully as she turned her widened eyes towards her friend and the witch faltered in her steps as she swallowed thickly against the sudden lump in her throat. It was almost physically painful to look at her in that moment, to see the hope dwindling in her eyes when all she wanted to do was ignite the dying flame with evidence that she had found a solution. Imogen shook her head sadly in answer, ignoring the ache in her chest at the downtrodden expression that fell across her friend's features.

It bothered her how useless she felt in that moment; she was an extremely powerful witch with unlimited potential but she was unable to help a friend in need. Her entire life had been specifically designed around helping her loved ones, keeping them safe and happy, and it was disconcerting to be rendered incapable of doing what she was destined to do. There were no illusions in her mind about what it was she was meant to do; she was a fighter, she was the champion of the underdog, she was defender of those who couldn't defend themselves.

"Augh!" Kieran cried out suddenly, breaking the awkward silence that had fallen over the attic and everyone snapped their heads around in a panic as the man's body collapsed onto the floor. Violent spasms took over his body as his eyes rolled back into his head until all that could be seen were the whites of his eyes. Cami and Imogen both rushed forward to kneel down next to him and the blonde's hands aimlessly hovering, unsure how to proceed as her eyes widened in fright.

"Help me lay him on his side!" the witch ordered in a stern tone as Josh dropped down on the priests other side and the three of them instantly managed to roll the man over as he continued to seize. Cami brushed her hand over his sweaty forehead with a frown on her lips, worry in her eyes as her gaze swept over his features and it was obvious how much she cared for him, how much of a toll watching him suffer was taking on her.