001 ;; the root of all evil.

This is a reader insert of the Netflix KDrama Squid Game. I have no ownership to the plot line or characters mentioned in this story— all credit to the rightful creators of the show.

This story will contain triggering topics; mainly gore, blood, murder, death, etc. Read with caution if you're sensitive to the topics mentioned.

This is more of a Reader Insert rather than a Various x Reader, but there are lovely little moments scattered throughout the story that include basically all of the main characters, and you're able to interpret them however you wish!

Key:
[G/N] — Niece's Name (G = Girl)
[B/N] — Nephew's Name (B = Boy)
[F/N] — Friend's Name

———————————

"Don't give me such a bullshit excuse of you forgetting. Even a dumbass broad like you could recall something so practical."

An animalistic snarl was heard from the seething male who had a chunk of your hair firmly grasped within his hand. He then harshly slammed the back of your head into the wall behind you, causing you to groan in pain with your eyes squeezed shut. Your lips quivered as you let out a few pathetic whimpers, just silently wishing for his torture to end.

"Listen here, [Name]," he spat out your name with venom dripping off of his tongue, but you were hardly able to process his words thoroughly due to your head practically spinning from the throbbing pain on your scalp. "I've been patient with you long enough. If you don't have my money in two weeks, I'll kill you. Not only that, but your good-for-nothing nephew will be buried alongside you and your precious, little niece will sell for a good price to help repay some of your debt."

The threat of your niece and nephew had promptly forced you out of your weakened state and you instantly snapped your eyes open, widening them to give the livid male a pleading look. "N-No! Wait, just please extend the deadline! I-I.. I can't possibly conjure up that much money in such a short amount of—!"

A stinging slap resounded through the walls of the restroom, instantly silencing you and making you whimper in agony at the now red and tender mark left on your cheek. The fistful of your hair that was clutched by his hand was released, resulting in you sliding onto the floor in turmoil and defeat.

"Two weeks," the man repeated with a warning tone before he spat some saliva onto the ground beside you with a hateful sneer. He swiftly turned on his heel and stalked away, the sound of his footsteps retreating gradually faded away until you heard the restroom door slam shut behind him.

You brought your hand to gently soothe her aching cheek. Your eyes were now shut again and your mouth was slightly ajar, but hardly any audible sounds were emitted as you quietly sobbed on the disgusting, bathroom floor of your workplace.

I literally asked for this. I'm so pathetic.

———————————

"Auntie?! Is that you?!"

You could feel your heart flutter at the adorable voice you'd come to adore and you smiled softly as you shut the front door of your run-down abode. "Yes, it's me. I'm home, [G/N]."

The little girl instantly sprinted into the living area after your confirmation, her lips stretched into a wide smile before she engulfed you in a rather tight squeeze. You returned the embrace by wrapping your arms around your niece. "Where's [B/N]?"

She shrugged, untangling herself from you. "I think hanging out with his friends."

You simply arched one of your eyebrows. "Why did he leave you here alone? Why didn't you go with them?"