10 | AT 5 O'CLOCK

"𝓔xcuse me," Nora says, rushing into the breakfast room. Her cheeks flushed, she refuses to look at any of us as she pours herself a cup of coffee.

"How kind of you to join us," King Harold says. He folds a sharp edge into his newspaper and sets it down. "Tea started 25 minutes ago."

"I'm sorry."

"Where, may I ask, have you been?"

"I ... " she stammers, giving me a nervous glance.

"She was with me," I say. "I'm afraid I kept her too long."

The king frowns. But after a moment, he grunts and continues reading his paper.

Nora gives me a grateful smile. She and Sam must have lost track of time again. She was late to coffee a few days ago for the same reason. I hope they're aware of where they're meeting and who is around. Someone walking in on them could be quite the scandal. Or even possibly dangerous.

I steal a look at James, who was surprisingly here on time. He has a curious smile on his face as he looks between me and his sister. "You need too much time to get ready, dear sister."

He knows I'm covering for her.

"Some of us care how we look, dear brother."

They exchange mocking smiles. I can't help but laugh.

"Tell me, Hannah," Queen Philippa says. "Has James been behaving himself? He seems to be very involved with the committee."

James raises his eyebrows. How to answer that question.

"Yes," I say. "He's been doing a great job."

The queen smiles into her tea. "We're all looking forward to your piece for the closing reception."

My bite of biscuit turns sour. "Thank you, ma'am."

"She won't let me see any of the pages!" Nora says.

"I want them to be perfect."

The truth is, my pages are a mess. The last week or so, I haven't been able to write at all. What started as a scathing satire of royal men that even Jane Austen would be proud of is now ... a big blank.

In just a few weeks, I have to present a piece about the committee work at the final reception. And I'm majorly blocked.

"Oh I'm sure whatever you write will be wonderful," the queen says. "Don't you think so, James?"

James turns his eyes at me and my breath quickens. "Absolutely."

"Just write from the heart," Nora says.

I swallow. I don't know if I can do that right now.

"I hope you will keep in mind that this is the bow on this committee experiment," the king says, his eyes still on the paper.

"Harold," the queen says.

"I am only saying that there is more to consider than just speaking from the heart."

"Yes," James says. "Don't forget to mention the whole-hearted enthusiasm of the Redding family for revitalizing the local economy. The tireless hours the family spends volunteering. The long impassioned speeches of my father grieving the fall of the middle class over our meals, meager in solidarity."

The king rolls his eyes and takes a bite of scone.

This banter at meals — especially between James and his father — is new. At least new for me. I've spent a lot of time the last week or so biting back a laugh. I'm not sure if this is the way they normally are, so casual and comfortable, but I'm happy they've decided they can be that way around me.