13 | WITH GROWING ANTICIPATION

"𝓣his is the region's oldest map collection," Ruby says, gesturing to a display case of aging paper. "King Harold is a sort of cartophile."

Philip leans on the glass. "Looks like some of these are from the Middle Ages?"

"The oldest one is from the 1600s," says Ruby. "Are you interested in maps?"

"Oh yeah."

I give him a look. Philip has hardly even opened Google Maps, let alone shown an interest in cartography. But I let it slide as Ruby leads us into the bright solarium in the palace library.

"The palace collection contains nearly 80,000 items," Ruby says. "Through Hannah's work with the Arts and Culture Committee, we have started to digitize books for the public to use for free."

"Do you think the public would be interested in that?" Philip says.

Ruby and I look at him. "Absolutely," she says.

"I don't know," he says, tilting his head to read the spines of a first edition Encyclopædia Britannica. "It doesn't seem like people are interested in heavy reading. It's why romance sells more than anything else."

He turns to look at me. "Not that romance isn't worthwhile."

"I understood you," I say, my face warm.

Ruby walks a few paces ahead of us. She's given us 3 tours in the past few days, and each time there has been at least one moment that has seemed to make her uncomfortable. I didn't think Ruby ever got uncomfortable.

I want to blame it all on Philip, but he doesn't seem to pick up when things are awkward. I, on the other hand, have made my share of remarks. While on a tour of the botanical gardens, Philip asked so many questions that I finally asked if he was planning on writing a follow-up to that New Yorker piece on nonnative greenery. But this only led him into a debate with the palace caretaker.

For her part, Ruby hasn't said anything to me about Philip. But sometimes I catch her watching us, her eyes flitting between us both, just as she is now as we exit the library.

"We really appreciate all the time you've taken for us over the last few days," I say to her.

"Yes, thank you," Philip says. "It's really helped me understand more about Iridorra."

"We'll see you tonight?" I say, not looking forward to her leaving us alone. Philip and I have the rest of the morning free, and I'm really not sure what we're going to do. We've already exhausted the palace grounds. Maybe we can drive into town? I sigh thinking of it. I'm not sure I have the energy for Philip's thoughts on the need to modernize structures in rural Europe. And with the committee's closing party tonight, I know we don't have the time.

"Actually," Ruby says, "I've arranged a surprise for you."

"What kind of surprise?" Philip asks.

"Nina has prepared a special tea for you, with a tasting of local cuisines."

My stomach rumbles as I anticipate the flaky pastries. "That sounds incredible!"

"Yes, I'm sure that will be interesting," Philip says. "Is it possible to get that delivered to our room?"

Ruby falters. A first. "We've set up a service in the breakfast room. Of course, we could re-arrange them all on platters if that's what you'd prefer."

"No," I say loudly. "We wouldn't want to trouble you."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," I say before Philip can answer.