Chapter 2

Florida

This wasn't quite how this was supposed to go. Florida sits in the back of the cop car reflecting on how he got in this situation.

He was running around the neighbourhood, stealing packages off of porches early in the morning, before anyone with common sense would even think of being awake (including DC). He was at porch that seemed to be falling apart, with dark oak wood steps that creeked under Florida's feet. His target was a larger package that usual. Probably a computer of some kind jugding by the weight.

He picked it up only to see blue and red flashing reflected on the siding of the house. The state turned around to see a cop get out of the car. "What are you doing."

"Just taking my knew laptop for a walk." Florida replied with a huge smile.

"Can I see it?" The cop asked.

He hugged it close to his chest for a moment before walking down from the porch. "If you have to." He passed the package gently to the cop. Of course a quick look at the address it was being sent to confirmed that Florida was in fact stealing it and he got arrested.

Florida zones back in just in time to see the car pull up to the police station. He is lead to the holding cell inside. "You get one phone call after we procces you." The cop tells him before shutting the door.

Florida thinks about who he is going to call to bail him out this time. Louie couldn't afford it. Last time he called DC the goverment left him overnight to try and teach him a lession. Texas, his brain supplies. That might work. He'll just have to promise to pay him back. This is going to work perfectly.

"You need what?"

"I need you to bail me out." Florida replies. "I got arrested again."

I'll be there in five minutes." Texas grumbles before hanging up the phone.

Texas

Indeed five minutes later Texas shows up. After paying Florida's bail, he heads over to the holding cell with one of the cops to get Florida. In one corner of the cell are a few teenagers, probably arrested for shoplifting. In another an old drunk is humming under his breath. Florida is sitting on the bench leaning against the back wall. He perks up as soon as he sees Texas.

"How did you get yourself locked up this time?" He asks.

"I'll tell you on the way home." Florida says as thay walk over to the car. "Could you not mention it to DC that I got arrested again though. I don't think he would be to happy with me."

They hop into the car and buckle up.

Texas chuckles. "My lips are sealed." He wasn't planning on mentioning it to the fed anyway. No point in getting another southerner in trouble if it isn't going to hurt him. Unless it's Oaklahoma. He should probably be in jail by now anyway.

Speaking of. "When do you have to show up to court?" Texas asks the state in the passengers seat.

"They decided to let me off with a warning." Florida says, smiling wide. Texas chuckles. Perks of being a state.

The drive back to the house is short but it gives Texas the chance to look at the other state.The usual slightly crooked hat and a Flamingo tie are the accesrories to his shorts and tank top. His short hazelnut coloured hair is styled simply. The states eyes are what grabs Texas' attention the most. A deep brown colour they are a way to see his true emotions, a window into what he is thinking. At the moment they are bright, he is probably planning a prank.

Soon they reach the house and hop out of the car. "Try not to get arrested again" Texas says.

"No promises." Florida replies giggling.

He runs into the house and Texas smiles after him. Something about the other state made him want to put up with all the crap just to see him smile, but Texas just can't see to put his finger on it.

The next few days pass in a blur. Florida somehow manages not to get arrested again, just barely.

The south is in charge of supper one day. Florida is the only one that shows up to help Texas. The other southern states decide they are too busy. The two decide on pasta. (They didn't have enough time for barbaque). The water only takes a few minutes to boil. Texas decides to put the pasta in the four pots on the stove himself so no one gets burnt. While they wait for the pasta to cook the two have time to talk.

"So you managed not to do anything that got you arrested again." Texas starts.

"You don't have to follow the law as long as you don't get caught." The joke manages to get a smile out of Texas.

"So DC didn't find out about it?" He asks.

"He doesn't have a clue." Florida smiles. "Don't want to get grounded again."

"I don't think the rest of us could handle having you stuck here again." The two laugh for a moment before they are interupted by the timer.

"Could you pass the sause?" Texas asks. Florida hands him the jar and there fingers brush sending a jolt up Texas' hand. What is going on between him and Florida?

The get the sause mixed in with the pasta and the whole thing servered just as some of the other states start making their way over to the kitchen. Lured by the promise of good southern cooking.

Florida

Meetings are so boring. DC called another meeting to talk about Covid and Florida is about ready to tear his hair out.

He briefly considers starting a fight to make things more interesting but decides against it when he looks around. Everyone looks exausted. California isn't even listening, chosing instead to stair out the window. Not exactly argument material.

His mind wanders back to cooking with Texas last night as the fed drones on. It had taken every ounce of self control Florida had not to kiss him. The way he moved in the kitchen so smoothly, knowing exaclty how to make some awesome food was just hot. Florida doesn't know if he could fall any further for the other state than he already has.

He gets snapped out of his trance when the other states start to file out around him. Slowly he gets up and looks over to Texas who is arguing with Oaklahoma. Maybe some day he would get him, if he was just patient enough.

Texas

Texas wipes the sweat off his forehead with the back of his hand. After the meeting he had decided to head out in the grulling heat and and replace the hay in Betsy the cow's pen. Despite the hard labor that came with farming, he doesn't mind it. The animals are great company and chores like this give a man time to think.

Somehow today's chores bring the southerners mind to Florida (probably the fit the cow was throwing over having to move to a diffrent pen for a few hours). Honestly there seemed to be some kind of connection between them. There was something about the state that made Texas want to do everything within his power just to see him smile. Could it be-? No. Texas shot that thought down immidietly. He's known that he is bisexual for a long time but he hasn't had a crush on a guy in years. Now that he thinks about it more he realizes he reconises the feeling. Crap! Texas likes Florida.

Well that took forever. The next chapter is written I just have to type and edit it so it should come sooner rather than later.