exams part i

Everyone knows the first round of exams are the toughest. The library is always packed, the Starbucks in the Uni has a line out the door, and nobody gets more than 4 hours of sleep. Some even sleep on the library floor and only wake up for a swig of Redbull.

Louis is not one of these people. In the traditional sense. He still drinks multiple cups of joe, and an occasional Redbull, but he does his studying mostly at his night job at the hospital. When there's no patients coming into his floor or lost family members looking for the waiting room. He's alone for the most part, unless a nurse walks by to get on the computer and do her documentation.

He never worries if he's going to fail. Because he never does. That doesn't mean he doesn't bust his ass studying. He's glad this can be his safe space to study because Eleanor has tried multiple times to get him to study with her at the library. He loves the library, don't get him wrong, he just doesn't like going there with Eleanor. When she's not studying, which is most of the time, she's doing annoying things that bother the crap out of Louis. Such as typing loudly on the phone, or retouching her lip gloss and powdering her nose. Or even trying to ask him an irrelevant question. Even when his ear buds are in. He doesn't enjoy this part of Eleanor. Her personality kinda sucks. He's noticed. He's not sure if it's out of the blue, or if he's just know noticing it. Which is strange. Nothing in his life has changed. Besides the periodical thoughts of Harry Styles. Which is also strange. He would think of Harry once in a blue moon before, now, it's almost weekly.

Daily, maybe.

It's late when he's finally done with his shift. By now, the morning nurses are coming in to relieve the night ones.

"Good morning Louis." A nurse says as she comes around the desk to clock in.

"Morning, Nancy."

"Studying for exams?" She asks as she slides him over a cardboard cup of coffee. Some days, she'll bring in an extra cup for Louis to take home after work. She knows his days and nights blend together, and he hardly has time for sleep.

"Yep."

Nancy starts to write down on her clipboard before making her way to a computer.

"Hey Nancy?"

"Yes?"

"This unit is used for addicts sometimes too right?"

"Well, Louis, we're in the rehabilitation unit. It's not exactly that kinda rehab."

"But say an addict had a trauma, he would be sent here for recovery?"

"I would assume so, yes. Why are you asking such a question?"

"No particular reason... I just wanted to know."

Nancy is about to start writing again.

"Hey Nance?"

"What, Louis?"

"How long have you been working here?"

"Almost 15 years."

"Did you ever take care of a boy with extremely curly hair? Skinny even? Like anorexic skinny? Former prostitute?"

Nancy raises an eyebrow.

"It's just a question."

"You were one of Liam's kids, huh?"

"What? No."

Nancy raises an eyebrow again.

"Liam got you the job here."

"Okay, fine. So what?"