Chapter 2: Rylee's Memories Part 1

Rylee's Pov

I stopped at the signal; a couple of cars here and three, light traffic.

but my mind...my mind plunged into a burning house, my house, where my parents were burned alive, while my brother and I survived, hiding in the basement, unconscious from all the smoke in our lungs.

I can still hear their voices.

"Listen, kids, we're going to play hide and seek." said Dad while Mom cooked supper; she got back from work early today.

I was a kid then, but I knew something was off about the whole thing.

We nodded, eager to play hide-and-seek.

"Who is the leader?" I asked, curious to know.

"Mom and I will seek." Dad smiled at us

My brother and I run to the basement as Daddy starts counting.

"10"

We run and hide inside the old wardrobe.

We waited for what seemed like an eternity. After 10 minutes, we still couldn't hear Daddy's voice, probably because the walls were soundproof. Even I thought he lost his way to the basement.

We sat in the wardrobe, but no one called our names.

"Should we check if Daddy is coming for us or not ?" Ridley quipped

"Maybe he lost his count." I tried to reason with my brother.

Hours passed, and we waited, but no one came.

After a while, smoke started entering the wardrobe. We opened the door only to find the house burning. I couldn't see anything, neither could my brother.

The smoke seeped into our nostrils, and our knees buckled by the time we reached the main door. I heard someone pounding on the door. A group of men managed to break through the door. They found us limp on the floor and carried us out.

I woke up in the hospital a couple of days later, next to my brother.

The doctor said that my lungs were filled with smoke and would take three days to recover.

I asked about my brother, and they said that he had't come around.

I nodded as the doctors left .

I cried to my pillow so that no one could see me crying.

I didn't eat for three days after hearing the news of my parents' death. I grew pale, weak in my heart, waking up in tears every night.

A psychologist visited me one day. We talked for a while, but rather, he talked. At first I couldn't speak as if someone had shut my mouth. Even if I opened my mouth, no sound came. It took me more than a week to talk to the psychologist, and that doctor became my best friend.

A week later, my brother woke up. He was still weak, but I knew I would have to break the news sooner or later. I told him mom and dad were gone.

He cried.

Then something good happened.

Out of nowhere, a man by the name of Dr. Paxton Hendrix came to us. He told us he was a friend of my father and that he would take care of us; I guess he was the modern man.

We attended our parents' funeral a few days after we had been discharged. Many people came, smiled at them and at us, shaking their heads at this misfortune. They called our parents and were wonderful. My brother nodded through it all.

After the funeral service, we left the country and changed our names; Alya Syhe became Rylee Hendrix while my brother changed from Flynn Syhe to Ridley Hendrix. Why did we change our names? Well, the fire that had killed our parents was no ordinary one. Someone had wanted to kill them, and they had succeeded. We changed our name to erase our tracks.

We moved from Chicago to New York. We stayed there until we finished our high school.

I found my calling to medical school, and my brother became a policeman.

I entered a medical school and was topper of that class.That was when I met Valen Beau, a guy with crazy ideas who used to back me up in times of trouble.

End of Flashback.

I drove to my apartment, entered the parking lot, and picked up my bag.
I closed the door and looked around me.

I see cars lined up.

I look at my watch...it shows 11:00pm.