Chapter 5:A Sercet from Aqua

Rylee

I placed the bags on the table, slowly loaded them into the cabinets, and  checked the clock to see why my tummy's been growling. Ah, noon...guess it's time for supper.

I took out a pack and wolfed down her brother's homemade supper and  scrolled through my phone, sipping a glass of water. 'Hmm, a message from Aqua...'

Aqua: Hey, I need to talk. Green Tree, 8pm?

I replied that i would come.  I had a strange feeling about this meeting. Without hesitation, I changed into a white tee and black pants with a pair of converse.  Grabbing my  handbag as I  stepped out.

      *

Green Tree

I glanced at the sign and sighed, and  pushed the door open to see a handful of people inside the cafe. I spotted Aqua in a black turtle neck. Her hair was short, and her bangs fell onto her eyebrows.

"Hey," the thirty-year-old beckoned.  I  waved and sat down with a smile. The waitress came in, holding a notepad. "So what do you folks want to order?"

"Two ice coffees, please," Aqua glanced at   Me

Aqua looked at me  before beginning her monologue. "I prefer not to beat around the bush. I come from a wealthy family and own many mansions. We were a happy family, but I still am...though something major happened when I was five years old." I  listened  to her patiently, sipping the cold coffee.

Aqua continued, "My father's friend called one day, almost begging my father to take his son, adopt him. His friend apparently got accused of attempting murder and money laundering. My father agreed, but before he could take the boy in, someone attacked them. His mother was murdered, and he hurt his head... lost his memory...
His father survived the attack, but there was no way he could take care of his son, so my dad took him in." Aqua sniffed.
"I was kinda happy because I got a brother. I used to sleep across the hall in case he had nightmares, which were quite afew." Aqua finished her iced coffee with glazed eyes.

I really  didn't know what to say hearing this new information.

"I didn't know you had a step-brother,"
I  said.

Aqua smiled.

"So where he is right now?"

"Well, last I heard, he was on a vacation with a close friend of his, Cyrus." Aqua slurped the remains of her cold coffee. "He hasn't exactly answered any of my calls; it  goes straight to voicemail, so I assume he's still with Cyrus..." She shrugged.

"Probably some place that doesn't have any reception,"  said I

We paid  and stepped out into the street. People passed by as the sun started to set. I offered to drop Aqua home, seeing as the 'rich' girl didn't have a vehicle at hand: Odd.

We both sat in silence, the faint hum of the car being the only sound. Though striking up conversation wasn't my strong suit, I decided to give it a shot. "Umm, your father, is he well? Must've been difficult..."

Aqua smiled. "Business isn't smooth, but he's good at it."

I nodded. "Damn, I need to go to the hospital. I have a surgery scheduled for today... I nearly forgot. Pax would eat my head," I  coughed.

"Oh," Aqua glanced at the driver. "Are you okay?..."

"Yeah, I'm fine." I replied, not too sure of her response. sometimes, I had flashbacks of the accident and the time after. I may have grown up, but my  six-year-old self was still trapped in the burning house. I gulped, remembering a fire that once broke out at the hospital. More than the actual smoke, it was the sheer shock that paralyzed me; unable to move or hear, as if someone took my soul away. I haven't  never told anyone, not even Paxton.

Aqua's voice snapped her out of her thoughts. "Hey, I think someone is following us."

I glanced at the side mirror and saw a black van behind them. I tried to make way in case the party in question simply wanted to move ahead. However, the black van slowed down. I didn't waste another moment and quickly stepped on the accelerator. I drove around to find a place to hide.

"Ah, got it...the mall!'

We  entered the parking lot and parked quietly.

'Why here?' Aqua mouthed.

'Trust me, I have a plan.' I mouthed back.