Chapter 7- A Little Reveal

Rylee

I felt a pair of arms wrap around me.
"Honey, where you have been? I was searching everywhere for you."
It was Ridley.
Aqua looked shocked. A message buzzed on my phone.

Ridley : Turn around, pay for everything, and go. I'll catch up. Check your pocket.

I slipped my mobile back into my pocket and picked up the items I needed from the shelves. One of the goons saw me as I took the items from the cart.
"Excuse me, Lady."
I looked at him, but he didn't recognise me. 'Whew...'
I paid the bill and headed out towards the exit. Since it was 11pm, people were rushing for last-minute shopping. Most of the shops were closed.
I rushed to the elevator. Thank God for the thronging crowd; those goons weren't able to get on. The elevator went down.

I reached into the pocket. My fingers grazed against a piece of paper and a key. Before I could tug at it, I heard a ding from the elevator. The door opened, and I stepped onto the parking lot. I noticed 2 black vans parked near our car.

I pretended to search for the car key and read the note.

Rylee, use my car. Wait for me here:
NIGHTGLOW

I found my brother's car and started the car, glancing at the gangsters through the corner of my eye. As I pulled away from the parking lot, I could see the men searching for me. 'They are so clueless.' I inwardly smiled.

The tunnel opened onto the main highway, trees lining the driveway.
With my left hand on the steering wheel, I clicked on the rectangular screen with my right: 'NIGHTGLOW'
The map redirected me to the shortest route possible. There were a lot of turns. I guess I'll have to trust the GPS on this.  That and Ridley. I have never heard about this place. Ridley better give me some answers.

I see blocks of buildings neatly placed in vertical stacks. The paper read: NIGHTGLOW, 3rd street, 5th building.
There it was, a building with a huge sign in white and black block letters:

NIGHTGLOW

I turned off the engine and got out of the car. Feet on solid ground, I took a deep breath before proceeding to the door.
I knocked at the door and waited. It was opened by a man with curly hair and glasses on. I followed him. 'Ridley, this better not get me killed...'

There was a room with a desk and a receptionist.

"She is with me." The man simply stated.
The receptionist nodded. He smiled at me.
We turned to the left, and a door slid open.
"You must be Rylee," the male finally unpursed his lips. "Ridley talked about you a lot. He said he has the most amazing sister. We'll come on in. He should be here soon."

"And you are?..." I gazed at the enigmatic figure.

"Dex Hoff," he stated.

"Nice to meet you, Dex."

"Pleasure is all mine. I heard you're a doctor."

"Yeah, a surgeon...so how did you and Ridley meet?"

He shrugged. "Well, I was the nerd in college because I used to work with computers; create software and programs, assemble hardware, fix bugs... the usual. One day, some guys came and insisted that I create programs for them. They said they'd pay big money, but it didn't look right. And then they threatened my mom..."

"And then what happened?..." I inched closer to the man.

"And I agreed like sort of, they left my mom and dragged me out. I was forced to join their clan. The beatings were bad, and I made plans to escape. One night, I exited the gang's house while everyone was sleeping. I ran with my backpack. I managed to get to the streets, but I could hear the cars coming from the other direction... They'd found me." He smiled.  "I tried to fight. I braced myself when someone from the gang took my right arm and snapped. I fell to the ground, and they kept hitting me. I could hear some sound in the background, like a siren. All I saw was a man coming out of a white car and running towards me. Guess I passed out after that."

"And that's how you and Ridley became friends."

He nodded as we reached the end of the hall. He pulled out a card and placed it on the scanner. The door flung open to reveal a huge room. There were 4 computers running, their monitors on. I see 5 soft boards and one glass boards.

"Welcome to NIGHTGLOW." said Dex