3

"What's wrong, sweetie?" Dorothy asked me as I stocked a shelf of books.

"Nothing really. I just ordered this dresser, but they won't take it up the stairs for me and it's kind of heavy. So I'm not sure how I'm going to get it up there."

"I can get my grandson to help you."

Ermanno. The man who was in here two weeks ago.

I quickly shook my head. "No that's okay. I can figure it out myself." I didn't want to inconvenience anybody. Nor did I think I was at a spot in my life where I felt safe being alone with a man.

"Anna, you're pregnant. You shouldn't be lifting heavy things, especially up the staircase!" She chastised. I felt like my grandmother was scolding me.

"I'll call Ermanno and see if he can help you. When is the dresser coming?"

I hesitated, unsure whether to accept her offer or not. It was a heavy dresser and I would have to lug it up two flights of stairs myself.

"It's coming tomorrow morning around 9," I said, relenting.

"Okay, I will call him tonight."

"Thanks, Dorothy."

****

My body buzzed with nerves as I awaited Ermanno's arrival. He'd agreed to help me with the dresser, and while I was very grateful, I couldn't help but think the worst.

I had been abused by a man since I was seventeen. Trusting another one to be in such close proximity to me while we were alone was a bit difficult. But, Dorothy was an amazing woman. I liked to hope that anyone from her bloodline would be just like her.

My stomach twisted when I heard the intercom buzz. "It's Ermanno," his accented voice said through the speaker.

I pushed the button and spoke into the system. "Okay, you can come up."

I waited a few moments before I heard a knock on the door. Pulling the door open, I was struck by his sheer attractiveness. I thought he was handsome at the bookstore, but even more so since we were up close. I didn't realize how much taller he was than me earlier. He was about a foot taller than me and I was 5'4.

"Hi," I said, pulling the door open wider so he could step in.

"Hi. Where do you want this dresser?" He asked, getting straight to the task at hand, awaiting no time with formalities or small talk. I was grateful for that.

I led him to my room and showed him the wall I wanted it to stand against.

"Okay. It's being delivered at nine?"

"Yes," I said with a nod.

"I'll wait outside for it and bring it up."

"Thank you, I appreciate your help."

He nodded his head and walked through the door. He didn't want to do the whole small talk, awkward get to know you, and I was perfectly fine with that. Being polite strangers was enough for me.

After a little while of waiting, Ermanno pressed the buzzer and I let him up. I held the door open for him to walk through and he carried it all the way back to my bedroom.

"Thank you," I said after he set the dresser on the floor.

"You're welcome. Have a good day, Anna."

He walked by me and headed toward the door once again.

"Wait," I said. "I can pay you for your help. Or do you a favor in return."

He shook his head. "You don't owe me anything."