39

My thumbs twiddled nervously as I walked next to Ermanno into the restaurant. We were meeting his mother there. It would be the first time he'd seen her in two years and my first time ever meeting her.

I couldn't help but be a bit anxious. She was my husband's mother after all. I also knew there was a deep history of pain between the two of them, so I wasn't sure how all of this would play out. I didn't want my darling man to be hurt more by her.

The hostess led us to our table and an older woman was already sitting on one side of the booth.

"Madre," Ermanno greeted as we approached the table. (Mother)

She took at her son and offered him a small smile. It didn't seem like she was aging well. I was sure losing her husband at such a young age while having two children dependent on you would do that to a person. Ermanno had told me that she was also a user, so I was sure that wouldn't benefit her looks in any way. But I knew simply by looking at her, that she would've been beautiful in her younger days before life got in the way.

"Ciao," she said. Then her eyes shifted to me. (Hello)

"Questa è mia moglie, Ansley," he said then turned to look at me. "This is my mother, Valentina." (This is my wife, Ansley).

"Hello, Ansley," she said in an accent the same as Ermanno's.

"Hi, it's nice to meet you."

Ermanno brushed my hip and motioned for me to sit down, so I slid into the booth and he followed right behind me.

"You are having a child?" Valentina asked, nodding at my pregnant stomach.

"Yes, we are," my husband said as his hand came to rest on my thigh. I had to refrain from parting my legs for him, as we were in public. There was something about the way he took full claim of Violet that made me ravenous, that and his hands on my body simply drove me wild.

"Do you know the gender?" She asked.

Ermanno stayed quiet, leaving me the opportunity to decide to tell her.

I nodded and said, "We are having a baby girl."

She smiled and nodded, looking back at her son.

We were briefly interrupted when the waitress came and took our drink orders. Both Ermanno and I got water, and Valeria got some sort of wine.

Ermanno cleared his throat and propped his hands on the table when the waitress walked away. "What did you want to see me for?"

Last week, Ermanno told me that Valentina had contacted him, requesting to meet with him. He was sure it was money relayed, but I think he hoped it would be for another reason. To rekindle their relationship. For a mother to get to know the son she'd abandoned.

She looked down at her own clasped hands and took a breath. "I need money."

He was right. It was about money. My heart clenched painfully for him.

My husband's jaw clenched, but he let out a humorless snort. "More money?"

She nodded but didn't speak. She wouldn't meet his gaze.

"I gaze you one-hundred-fifty-thousand dollars, mother. Less than a year ago. What could you have possibly done with that?"

She ground her molars together and glanced out the window beside us.

"I want to return to Italy."

"Italy? What's in Italy?" He demanded.

"Marriage," she answered.