38

Two days before Ansley's questioning

At night, long after everyone in the unsuspecting town had gone to sleep, I pulled the vehicle out of the warehouse that belonged to the mafia family. Ermanno stored Michael's vehicle there after taking him captive at the bookstore.

Making sure to drive cautiously, I made it the forty-five minutes into a different town, not passing a single other driver in the process.

Ermanno followed a few hundred yards behind me as we headed toward the abandoned field where we would ditch the car.

I spotted the old overgrown field with a hazard sign placed in the middle. It warned people of the steep topography, dangerous rocky cliffs, and the river below.

I pulled the car haphazardly into the field, then got out and walked toward the cliffs, making an indentation in the dense grasses that showed something had walked through them.

Once I reached the wooded area that stood between the field and the rocky cliffs, I walked along the tree lines until I found a deer trail that led out back out of the field. Once I reached the road, I opened Ermanno's car door and slid into the passenger seat.

He leaned over and kissed me, pressing his tongue into my mouth. I moaned into his kiss and reached my hand down, just grazing his hardening cock.

He took in a sharp breath and pulled away from me. "Not here, Fiore," he said, grasping my hand in his and pulling it away from his erection.

"We are going to meet the lawyer in the morning, remember?" Ermanno said as he drove us back the way we came.

I nodded. "Yes. I remember," I said as I looked out the window. We were meeting him at one of Arsenio's clubs, which was closed for the day. "I never thought that the contract I signed would actually come to fruition," I said.

"Hmm?"

"The omertà code. I never thought I'd be talking to the police about being involved in a missing persons case and a potential death. I also never thought I'd have two mafia dons and their corrupt lawyer coaching me on how to talk to law enforcement," I said. I shifted toward him, propping my elbow on the center console. "I've had a lot of new experiences with you, Ermanno."

He brought his hand to my head and raked his fingers through the strands. "I wish you didn't have to do this fiore. I didn't want you to know this part of my life."

I furrowed my eyebrows at him. "I married you knowing the kind of lifestyle you live. What do you mean?"

He sighed but continued massaging my scalp. "I needed you to accept me, my profession, my family. But I didn't want what I do to become your life. I wanted to protect you from this, from the crime, and the murder, and the coverups."

I pulled his hand from my hair and held it in both of mine, bringing it to my lips. I placed a kiss in the center of his palm.

"You did protect me, Ermanno. You saved me. I fully accepted this lifestyle when I said yes to your proposal and signed my name on the dotted line. Besides," I said with a shrug. "If it weren't for you and your lifestyle, Michael would still be out there, searching for me. I might've already been dead by now if it weren't for you. I accept and love all parts of you, including these ones. If I couldn't take it, then I wouldn't have married you."

"What did I do to deserve you?" He asked, stealing a glance at me.

"Mmm, you yelled at me when I crossed the street and accidentally walked in front of your car," I said with a giggle.

"I didn't yell, but I should've. You were being stupid that day. You could've gotten run over."

I slid my hand around his abdomen and pressed a kiss to his cheek. "But I didn't, because my knight in shining armor would never hit me with his car."