6

I stared at the empty store in front of me. I think it was the slowest day the store had experienced since I started working there. It didn't help that Dorothy had left early and I had no one to talk to.

Absentmindedly strolling through the aisles of bookshelves, I pulled two books that caught my attention and took them back to the front desk. Just as I opened the front cover of one of the books, the door opened.

Ermanno walked in, dressed in a black suit that hugged his muscular body nicely. He gave the appearance of a male model.

"Hi," I greeted when he walked closer.

"Hi, Anna. Is Dorothy here?"

I shook my head and pushed my book to the side. "Unfortunately not. She left about two hours ago since it was so slow. Did you need something?" If I could help him, I would.

"No, she was supposed to bring me something. I'll see you later."

"Wait," I called. "Do you want to check if it's in the office? Maybe she left it in there."

"Sure, thanks." I stepped out of his way and he walked behind the front desk into the office. I caught a whiff of his oaky cologne as he walked by.

He rummaged around her office for a few minutes before coming back out, empty-handed. "Couldn't find it?" I asked.

He shook his head. "I'll get it from her later."

His suit and tie caught my attention once more. "Are you going on a hot date?" I teased. I hadn't seen him wear something so formal before.

His brown eyes gazed heavily into mine. "Business meeting."

"Oh," I hummed. "Did it go well?" I had no idea why I was so intrigued with his personal life today, but I didn't want him to leave the store. Even if my body did feel like a raging inferno under his unrelenting gaze, I enjoyed speaking with him.

"Yes, I would say so," he replied.

"That's good."

"Are you?" He asked. My eyebrows pulled up in confusion.

"Am I what?"

"Going on a hot date?"

I laughed at his words and shook my head. "No. No hot dates for me. It'll just be me and whatever I can find on TV tonight."

Ermanno leaned against the counter, causing his body to move closer to mine. I stepped back a few inches. His nearness was dangerous.

I wasn't looking for a relationship. I needed to heal first before I considered any new love interests. Nonetheless, Ermanno was an established, wealthy man. He could find much better than the likes of me- a broken girl. The likelihood of him feeling any romantic emotions toward me anyway was slim, he barely knew me.

"I'll be doing the same."

"Watching TV?" I questioned, unable to hide my smile at his response.

The front door opening diminished the conversation. A woman walked in. She was gorgeous. Her hair was long and dyed a pretty burgundy shade. She was of average height, and thin, and effectively attracted Ermanno's gaze. They looked at each other and she smiled at him.

I felt as though I was in the middle of something, interrupting.

He stepped back from the counter and nodded at me. "Thanks, Anna."

He walked away from me, his gaze on the woman the entire time. She stared back at him as he walked out of the door. A few seconds after, she followed behind him.