003. attempted coverup

emi quietly went down the staircase with the school uniform that was stained by chocolate milk

emi quietly went down the staircase with the school uniform that was stained by chocolate milk. she held it tight while walking into the kitchen, seeing megumi leaning on the counter.

his back was facing the girl, hands placed at his sides and individual fingers tapping away. the boy's head spun around when noticing emi, the taps ceasing and his body pushing up from the marble.

the silence coming from megumi had made her even more nervous. her head dipped in embarrassment, waiting for any sort of response.

"why didn't you say anything?" he asked.

emi responded, "i'll only be a burden to you guys if i said something. it's only affecting me, it's fine-"

"no it's not fine," megumi stepped closer to her as emi's eyes never left the ground, "it's affecting you so much that you can't even look at me. and who said that you would be a burden?"

he wasn't going to say it out loud, but it did hurt a tad that emi wasn't reaching out to him, or anyone else in fact. she was being bullied for who knows how long and took it because she thought it would trouble others.

"people make fun of my eyes because they're different. if they see you hanging out with me, they'll assume things about you too. i don't know why... but that's how they are," emi blushed, "they even thought we were dating because you're around me. also calling you a freak. it's not good to be around me."

"i could care less about them."

emi glanced up at megumi. she saw and heard him exhale, the tips of his fingers on his forehead. he didn't particularly seem annoyed, but more frustrated.

"i'm sure gojo-san and tsumiki agree. you're thinking too much about others. you let them trample on you because you think that it'll trouble us. what's truly troubling is the fact that you're letting them," he said it as it was and made her eyes widen.

before she could even say anything back, megumi's eyes also broadened upon hearing keys jingle from outside of the front door. the lock also clicked, meaning it was open.

tsumiki was still at school and the only other resident of the house was satoru.

it made emi's heart race. she didn't want him to figure out because letting him know that she had been bullied was a shame on her, something humiliating.

the door swung open and inside came a glasses-wearing man. satoru swung his keys around his finger, shutting the door with chuckle.

"so it is true. not only did i not think i would get a call about megumi beating up three guys, but you two skipping on the rest of your classes," satoru stopped swinging his keys.

"it was my fault," emi took the blame. "i'm sorry, toru-san. we'll go back to school."

he waved it off, "nah. there's no point in going now if most of the day has gone by. what i'm curious about is why. oh, and what's with the clothes?"